• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid-FW loft equivalents

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
working on the gaps in my long game, thinking of making some changes....just trying to get an idea of what will play like what

just what hybrid lofts play the same as each typical wood

a 15* 3 wood would be equal to what loft hybrid?
18* 5 wood?
21* 7 wood?
24* 9 wood?

that's all, thanks.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i use a TM mid rescue 2h 16* to replace mt 3 wood and a TM mid rescue 3h 19* to replace my 5 wood. but diff companies have diff lofts for there hybrids.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
From my experience on demoing most of the hybrids on the market, it will likely depend on the Brand of hybrid. You may likely see up to a 20 yard gap from the shortest to farthest on a same lofted driver. Then again, you may likely find the same on FW's.

Here is what I have and what I have and the FW's they replaced
23* Cobra Baffler (4i/R_ - Replace 4i and about 20-25 yards shorter than a 20* G2 7w
19* Halo (2i/R) - About even to 5 yards shorter than my 20* G2 7w
16* Halo (1i/R) - About Even to 5 yards shorter than my 17* G2 5W

The G2's FW's are pretty stong compared to other FW's I have played, possibly even a club more. I found the G5, Cobra, Callaway Heavenwood, TM Mid, Hogan and J-Max to be slightly shorter than the Halo. Callaway Fusion, Sonartec to be longer. And the TM Dual to even or longer, but quite unpredictable in distance. These were all like lofted or within a degree. Again, this is just my experience from demoing on either a range or launch monitor.

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
Hybrids are typically engineered to be played at shorter lengths than fairway woods of comparable lofts. Thus, it's also common to see hybrids producing slightly less ball speed and distance than the comparably lofted fairway wood. The lies of the hybrids, I might add, reflect this intention of playing them at a shorter length. To get the *same* distance from the hybrid as from the [longer] fairway wood, you might need to get a hybrid 1 or 2 degrees stronger than the fairway wood. Thus, a #1 hybrid built at 42 inches with 13 or 14 degrees loft might produce similar distances to a 3 wood built at 43 to 43.5 inches with 15 degrees loft. Likewise, a #2 hybrid built at 41 inches with 17 degrees loft might equate in distance to a 5 wood built at 42 inches with 19 degrees loft. Of course, all of these calculations assume optimum ball striking.

Question I'd want to ask is this: Why do we see so few strong-lofted hybrids, even among tour players? I know that I, for one, am more capable of getting a 19 degree fairway wood reliably airborne from the turf than I am a 19 degree hybrid. Something about the more compact clubhead of the fairway wood allows me to get it flying more easily. But the pros, who hit everything well, don't really have such issues...or do they? -- JC

working on the gaps in my long game, thinking of making some changes....just trying to get an idea of what will play like what

just what hybrid lofts play the same as each typical wood

a 15* 3 wood would be equal to what loft hybrid?
18* 5 wood?
21* 7 wood?
24* 9 wood?

that's all, thanks.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
can anyone suggest a high launching hybrid shaft???

trying to take some juice off of my 18* hybrid and make it play more like a 21* or so.

also, what are the average lengths of such fairway woods and hybrids gonna be?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.