• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid Hacker

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
So as many of you have figured out by now, I have stratospheric handicap.

With that as a given I figured let's try some hybrids. Everyone says that they are more forgiving than longer irons.

I have 6 hybrids.(3 clones and 3 second hand) 3 graphite shaft 3 steel.

From the course and the range, I find that I hit long irons a little shorter, but much more consistently than the hybrids. At the same club face loft, the hybrid goes 5 to 10 yds farther with the same launch angle as the iron.

Irons go straight to a 15* push. Hybrids rarely go straight and frequently push and slice.

I am attributing this to the smaller face size of the hybrids. My Nike CPR irons appear to have about 50% more face area and have a center of mass biased towards the toe. (For those that care, I like the CPR irons. They seem to have dropped a few strokes per 9 from my score). On any club I use, half of my miss hits are hitting thin and almost all the rest are hitting too far out on the toe of the club.

Does my analysis of my failure mode make sense? Any recommendations for improvement?

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Don't know if you are right in your analysis or not. Obviously you know more about how well you hit your clubs than anyone else does.... it's hard enough for me to keep up with the variables in my swing. :confused:

I know that I love my hybrids. I've knocked 2 strokes off my handicap this past summer (17 back to 15), and I expect the trend to continue. I've never played my longer irons well, even when I was carrying a 9 handicap (not recently), so the hybrids are a godsend for me. I have a 3, 4 and 5 TaylorMade Rescue. They have replaced my 3 and 4 irons and my 5 wood. Combined with a new set of Cobra irons, I once more have a positive outlook on my game... :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well, I'll start with the simplest thing I can think of. Out on the toe and thin, try getting a little closer to the ball. Maybe hit some shots with a headcover under your right armpit at the range. Watch some golf on TV, any golf. See where the butt end of the shaft is when they set up. Very close to the body.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hybrids are a little tricky anyway.

Work great for some people, not so great for others.

OP
Bubble Head

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
So assuming that I never make them work, what is a good game enhancing iron where I can get a 2 iron cheap.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Have you tried a 5W or 7W maybe? I'm not all that big on the hybrids myself anymore, especially when they start going into the sub 20* range.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
So assuming that I never make them work, what is a good game enhancing iron where I can get a 2 iron cheap.

I believe Golfsmith has their Cobra Inertia series on sale for 50 dollars a club. That's where I got my 2 iron.

Other than that, eBay?

OP
Bubble Head

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
I can't hit fairway woods to save my life. Worse than hybrids. Most of the good game improvement iron sets don't come in 2. Looking for good search terms for the eBay foray.

🔥 Latest posts