• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid Questions

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
First of all I only have 1 hybrid club and I got it real cheap that's the only reason I have it. I have had a hard time hitting hybrid clubs. So my questions are this...

1. Where do you play the ball in your stance?
2. Do you swing it like an iron with a more downward motion or like a wood and sweep at the ball?
3. What hybrid do you like and why?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
You are going to get a lot of different opinions on hybrids. So I'll throw mine in here. There are evil, the devil's spawn.

Having said that, you hit them like a iron, downward blow, taking a divot. I had a pro tell me when you think you are too close to a hybrid, move up a little closer.

I've tried almost all of them, and all the top sellers and I can't hit them. But a guy I play against a lot hits them great. So who knows?

The Cobra Bafflers, the DWS and the new TWS models are supposed to be great.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
First of all I only have 1 hybrid club and I got it real cheap that's the only reason I have it. I have had a hard time hitting hybrid clubs. So my questions are this...

1. Where do you play the ball in your stance?
2. Do you swing it like an iron with a more downward motion or like a wood and sweep at the ball?
3. What hybrid do you like and why?

1.) Play this as you would a 5 or 6 iron, generally. In my experience, results are ALWAYS better if you put a downward strike on the ball.

2.) See above.

3.) Subjective.

OP
A

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
Thanks guys! Good info.

I am looking at the Cleveland Halo 3i any experience with this club?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I've heard mixed things about the halo. But hybrids can be quite different. Go demo anything you're interested in.

I HIGHLY recommend trying to get something with a steel shaft, if you play steel shafted irons. Going to a superlight graphite in a hybrid, that is supposed to replace an IRON, just doesn't make sense to me...

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I've played both steel shafted hybrids and graphite. Both have their merits.

swing a wide range of hybrids. I found I can tolerate more dramatic changes in irons than changes in hybrids. It really depends on what you want to do

My son hit a hybrid and said it would never go in his bag. He then tried them again. Fairway woods out and a 16 and 21 hybrid in. He hits the 16 hybrid 270 and can move it left or right.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Hybrids all the way; I'm an iron striker, not a sweeper. Love my Cobras! The 2H is going to replace my sole remaining fairway club this year.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
I went to a hybrid last season. One worked and another did not. Got a couple different lofts like the one that worked. They are fine and hit more consistent shots than the long irons.

I generally hit them like an iron, but I do take a bigger swing with them as well.

🔥 Latest posts