• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid questions

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So is the overall consensus steel shafts over graphite? And the Cobras sound like a good one to check into Eracer.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
So is the overall consensus steel shafts over graphite? And the Cobras sound like a good one to check into Eracer.
I have tried almost all of them, and I do not believe the Cobra can be beat. Although, the graphite shaft that comes on the club stock (Aldila NV65) is too light for my tastes, and the reason I went with the Halo for my 16* an 19*. The steel shaft that comes on the Cobra is about a $50 steel shaft, and second to none in my book. So if you go with Steel, another plus on the Cobra. But I wanted a little lighter for my others. Although my 23* baffler is still the favorite club in my bag, and now I can't even say next to my putter, because my new putter has to prove itself first.

I also am not sure that I like how Cobra staggered their hybrids from 29*, 26*, 23*, then 20*, 18*, and 16*. Seemed kind of strange to me, and another reason I went with the Halo's.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004

Even though I love the Aldila shaft in my TM Rescue Mid, I wouldn't hesitate to try hybrids with steel shafts. When I demoed mine a year ago, my second choice was the Hogan with a steel shaft. It was a lot cheaper (surprise!) and approximated the feel of an iron more closely. No surprise there either.

Its all very personal and I think you should think hard about what your goals are for the club...I wanted it for tee shots and fairway approaches of about 205 yards. Then I found I could do a lot more with it than that...you can hit a very hot ball out of the rough with a hybrid by hitting it like an iron in this situation...descending blow...

On the other hand, the shots from the fairway need to be 'sweepers' like a fairway wood.

They are fabulous...let your instincts be your guide and you will make the right choice...demo, demo, demo...and take them on the course too.

justagolfer

Aug 14, 2006
Definately demo different mfgr, and lofts. I was looking to replace my LT2 3I and ended up w/ a Titleist 585h in a 19 degree, but that ended up being more like a 5W replacement. Ended up with a 21 degree club instead w/ a NV 85 shaft. Nice club. Careful, a lot of these things setup really closed.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
My 22* Titleist is taking a time-out in the closet for a while: it's great on the range but a hooker on the course.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
See i had the opposite experience with my hybrid. I bought a nike 18* CPR Iron-wood with a UST IROD shaft and for the life of me couldnt get more than 210 out of it on a perfect strike. I am now on the lookout for a different one but frankly I dropped it and the 3iron and added another wedge.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
I've got a Halo 3i right now but I'm thinking of getting a Cobra 4R w/the 20 loft. Halo hits really high.:smilie_cl

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I've got a Halo 3i right now but I'm thinking of getting a Cobra 4R w/the 20 loft. Halo hits really high.:smilie_cl
FYI, the Cobra 4R is actually 23*, the 3R is 20*. And I think you are correct the Halo 3i I have does seem to play a little high in comparison to the 23* Baffler, and certainly much higher than the 20* baffler I hit. I think the design of the head promotes that to a large degree, although I believed this to be characteristic of the stock Graphite Shaft as opposed to the Steel shaft on my baffler as well. I am not sure I would say it plays as high as the 23*, but certain not a noticable a difference between the 23* Baffler and 19* Halo, and the 19* and 16* Halo. They are fairly similar in trajectory, although the 3i Halo will give me around 15-20 yards more than the 23* Baffler.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I have an 85 gram graphite shaft in mine. I like it
83 gram Graphite on both my Halo's seems great to me, as one who has steel on all my irons and my baffler. The 65 on the baffler seemed a little light, but I have a tendancy of getting a little fast on my tempo. My driver has the NV65, and although it does not feel as light as the hybrid, I do get moving fast with it at times. All the 80-90 gram shafts felt about right, although I thought the Aldila NV85 Hybrid shaft felt really stiff to me. Kinda strange, because the 90G NVS on the FT Fusion felt fine:confused:

Even the lighter iRod Shaft felt kind of nice at around 75G I believe.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
FYI, the Cobra 4R is actually 23*, the 3R is 20*. And I think you are correct the Halo 3i I have does seem to play a little high in comparison to the 23* Baffler, and certainly much higher than the 20* baffler I hit. I think the design of the head promotes that to a large degree, although I believed this to be characteristic of the stock Graphite Shaft as opposed to the Steel shaft on my baffler as well. I am not sure I would say it plays as high as the 23*, but certain not a noticable a difference between the 23* Baffler and 19* Halo, and the 19* and 16* Halo. They are fairly similar in trajectory, although the 3i Halo will give me around 15-20 yards more than the 23* Baffler.
Sorry, I meant Cobra 3R at 20* because my Halo is so high. However I need to look at the distance I am getting from my Halo, maybe I need to look at the Halo 2i...:confused:

🔥 Latest posts