• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid questions

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Okay, a Hybrid with graphite shaft to replace a 3-iron. The 3-iron loft is 21 degrees and the supposedly equivalent 3 Hybrid is 19 degrees loft. Now I might not be the greatest rocket scientist on earth but won't this Hybrid with a lower loft and graphite shaft hit farther then my 3-iron? I don't WANT it to hit farther. I just want to HIT it. Should I look at a 21 degree hybrid to replace my 3-iron? This is all very strange. I've given Ping G5 iron and hybrid lofts only because I know them.:confused: :confused: :confused:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I have graphite in my Sonartec, don't like it anymore. It's also a 23*, pretty much right between a 3 and 4 iron for me, around 215 or so. I have some decisions to make for next year between my driver and 5iron. I can fill the gap with 3 and add another wedge or stick with 2 wedges and add 4 clubs. I'm thinking a 4iron, 19* hybrid and a 4wood.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
WBL:

This is a great question...I wanted to replace my 3 iron with a hybrid about a year ago and the guy at the retailer told me the ONLY way to know was to take clubs out on the range and hit them.

I ended up with a 22 degree TM Rescue Mid, that has the number '4' on the bottom of the club - ostensibly replacing a 4 iron.

Well this is bullshit. I can hit my 4 iron 185-190 and I can hit the hybrid anywhere from 205 to 220. So in this regard, it did indeed replace my 3 iron, despite the fact that it says '4' on the bottom.

The only way to know is to wait until spring and go to a range with several hybrids and hit balls for about an hour. You can then make your decision.

As we all know, most irons have steel shafts. But many of these hybrids have high tech graphite shafts which add a bunch more juice to the shots. (Mine has an Aldila NV). So the shafts in many of these hybrids make them really really hot. Therefore you can't make the decision just by looking at the club with its marked loft and 'iron replacement number' on the bottom. In my view they should only list the loft and leave the rest up to the buyer rather than misleading them....too many factors...

Smokin

Oct 11, 2006
Just bought new Ping I5's 4-SW. Added the G5 19 and 16 to replace the 3I and 2I. Distance has been pretty even to irons with maybe 5 plus yds on each. Hybrids launch higher than irons and land softer.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
WBL - I replaced my Ping G2 3i (when I used to have them) with a G5 19* ProLaunch Blue - it fit the bill perfectly.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
WBL:

This is a great question...I wanted to replace my 3 iron with a hybrid about a year ago and the guy at the retailer told me the ONLY way to know was to take clubs out on the range and hit them.

I ended up with a 22 degree TM Rescue Mid, that has the number '4' on the bottom of the club - ostensibly replacing a 4 iron.

Well this is bullshit. I can hit my 4 iron 185-190 and I can hit the hybrid anywhere from 205 to 220. So in this regard, it did indeed replace my 3 iron, despite the fact that it says '4' on the bottom.

The only way to know is to wait until spring and go to a range with several hybrids and hit balls for about an hour. You can then make your decision.

As we all know, most irons have steel shafts. But many of these hybrids have high tech graphite shafts which add a bunch more juice to the shots. (Mine has an Aldila NV). So the shafts in many of these hybrids make them really really hot. Therefore you can't make the decision just by looking at the club with its marked loft and 'iron replacement number' on the bottom. In my view they should only list the loft and leave the rest up to the buyer rather than misleading them....too many factors...

same here... my 3 hybrid replaces my 2 iron

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
with the halo's cleveland state that they go about 5-10 yards further than their iron equivalent....

paddy10189

Sep 14, 2006
I hit my 3h with 20* loft about 215 ish so I really dont know what it replaces because my 3i is usually a duff lol

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
So what I'm hearing that "most of the time" (but try it out) a Hybrid 3 will be much longer then a 3-iron and a better replacement would be a Hybrid 4, right? This is assuming graphite shaft in the Hybrid. Hmmmmmmmmm. Now I know why these guys at work said they use a 22 degree Hybrid in place of a 3-iron. I'll probably buy a couple hybrids so maybe a 19 and 22 would be a good choice.

And we've got a sssmokin from Wisconsin with G5 irons and a smokin from Texas with i5 irons!!

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
They do that so you say "Look, this hybrid ges 25 yards further than my 3 iron did" I'm in the same boat as everyone else, my hybrid is a 2 iron, but I just choke up on it to get 3 iron distance.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
Try different hybrids, Cobra's 3/R is different than Cleveland's 3i, both are 3 iron replacements but the loft is different.:smilie_cl

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
My Cobra 3H is 20-deg. and my Cobra 4H is 23-deg. Both have steel shafts.

I used to hit my 4-iron 180 yards, and my 3-iron 190 yards about 30% of the time. I now hit my 4H 180 yards about 75% of the time. The 3H goes 190 yards about 75% of the time.

So the distance matches up pretty nicely. It just matches up a lot more frequently.

Bravo's advice is good. Demo a few clubs and see what happens. I must ask you you try the Cobras, especially now that they've come out with the new DWS model, and you can get last year's Baffler at rock-bottom prices. Get the steel shaft in stiff flex. I play regular flex in my other irons and stiff in the Cobras. I've tried a lot of hybrid models, and you would be doing yourself a great disservice if you didn't try these awesome clubs.

🔥 Latest posts