• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid, Schmybrid

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
United States United States
I bought a Taylor #4 Rescue club - 22 deg. I thought this was going to help me get the ball up from tight lies, and also from trouble lies. After all- it's a "rescue" club, right? Maybe I bought the wrong club for the job. I don't know. I hit it okay at the range - like I hit most everything pretty well at the range. On the course, it's always a different story. I can't hit the club off the grass at all. Even at the range off a low tee - or the matt, I'm only hitting it 150 and that's a good, solid, clean hit. Most often I'm hooking it rather weakly, and 120-130.
Is it me? Well, of course it is. But do you think I had the wrong expectations for this club? I had thought it was going to replace my 3 or 4 iron. No way, Jose. I hit them both longer and more consistently. Now I'm ready to stick this new, expensive, and frustrating pos in the back of the closet, where it can keep company with my Alien, my chipper, and assorted other clubs that never worked out. I'd keep it in my bag for awhile just in case, but I can't do without any other club that is currently in there, and I always carry the 14 club limit.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
It took me a while to get used to my hybrid. My problem was I was swinging it like a driver (sweeping the ball) rather than like a 3/4 iron (steeper swing). After switching to a steeper swing, I got instant results.

Might be worth a shot though.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
When do you recommend I should use it? What kind of shot is it good for?
I do recall that during my last round, I started to hit it with a steeper swing and I was getting better shots with it. Didn't realize it needed an 8 iron swing though.
So, what club is it supposed to replace? I hit the hybrid, as I said, about 150. My 150 yard club is my 5 iron. I'm certainly not taking the 5 iron out of the bag.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You should be hitting it right between your 3 and 4 irons. Should be able to drop both of them if you wanted to.

I also had a little trouble when I first got one. I setup like a 7iron and hit it 210-215 now. It's pretty much like cheating for me. Give it some time.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
Okay Ez - thanks. Guess I'll stay with it.
I think I'll leave the 4 iron out. I use the 3 more than the 4. Love it off the tee.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
they say hybrids are designed so that you hit down on the ball like irons. supposely like 5i.

DVS

Aug 15, 2007
I was considering getting a hybrid as well....even though my 3i is relatively good. I guess i am just club ho'ing. lol...i love that term!

From what I have heard though, it does take a little getting used. So hang in there.

-DVS

5iron

I can usually hit my 3ihybrid as far as my 3 wood, its just a really comfortable club for me.:cool: If not, maybe a little farther then the 3W sometimes.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
My #4 hybrid is THE money club in my bag. Off the tee, off the fairway, out of the rough, it does one thing - hit the ball straight and long, on a perfect trajectory, with great feel. I can hit a 4-iron, but I'll never carry one again. There's no reason to.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
My #4 hybrid is THE money club in my bag. Off the tee, off the fairway, out of the rough, it does one thing - hit the ball straight and long, on a perfect trajectory, with great feel. I can hit a 4-iron, but I'll never carry one again. There's no reason to.

This is the same situation for me - I have the identical club Libre. I use it constantly.

Honestly, on the fairway I hit it like a fairway wood - with a sweeping motion. IN the rough, hit down on it like an iron. You can just about hit down as hard as you want with it and get it out of the rough.

I get the same yardage out of mine that I would with a 3 iron, but can't hit a 3 iron very well....

I use the club for bump and runs from off the green too. Try that sometime on the practice green. Get a few balls and take a putting stroke with it....you'd be surprised how easy it is...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
To at least present a different way.

Build up your long iron game. A good long iron will always trump a good hybrid.

5iron

This is the same situation for me - I have the identical club Libre. I use it constantly.

Honestly, on the fairway I hit it like a fairway wood - with a sweeping motion. IN the rough, hit down on it like an iron. You can just about hit down as hard as you want with it and get it out of the rough.

I get the same yardage out of mine that I would with a 3 iron, but can't hit a 3 iron very well....

I use the club for bump and runs from off the green too. Try that sometime on the practice green. Get a few balls and take a putting stroke with it....you'd be surprised how easy it is...

Are you more comfortable with your hitting your hybrid, rather than like a W off the tee, or hitting a W off the fairway ?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Are you more comfortable with your hitting your hybrid, rather than like a W off the tee, or hitting a W off the fairway ?

About the same...I've always been comfortable with fairway woods so putting the hybrid in the bag has been easy. I've never had a strong long iron game either...so this is a good fit for me.

5iron

Oh yeah and bravo, ive tried bump and running with my 5i when im just off the green(worked well) but would a hybrid work as well?, and is it that easy?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.