• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid, Schmybrid

Snowman

Aug 6, 2007
I say just take the advice from the others and play around with it. My swing is a mess, but for some reason hitting hybrids come very easy for me, hence the reason I carry 4 of them.

My course management usually has me laying up on par 5's to about 190. I can get it closer to the pin with my 26* hybrid than from 70 yards out with my SW.

Snowman
Fredericksburg VA

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
I agree with those who say keep working with it. Until recently, I didn't like hybrids, but myview has started changing.

About six months ago, I played a round with a guy who kept asking me why I didn't use my hybrid. Finally, with a shot about 200 yards out over a creek, I got tired of hearing it and pulled out the hybrid. I shanked two straight shots into the creek. I then pulled out my 3i and dropped a ball onto the middle of the green. "That's why I don't use the hybrid," I told him.

But times change, and I figure if almost everyone is using a hybrid, maybe a should keep trying it.

Last weekend my hybrid paid off. No. 17 on the Senator (RTJ) course is a 475 yd. par 5 that plays across a ditch to an uphill green. I never--NEVER--am able to play this hole well. Instead of driver, this time I used the hybrid (16* Cleveland) and drove my tee shot to the edge of the ditch. This left me with 205 to a back pin placement. I hit hybrid again and my ball flew the green by about 5 yards. (NOTE: The tee shot plays downhill to the ditch, which aided the length off the tee greatly.)

I don't know if I can do that regularly, but that earned the club a temporary place in the bag.

And I've always liked the hybrid for chipping. It cuts through thick grass easily and if I stroke it gently, I get good distance control.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
United States United States
I used it (Taylor #4 Rescue, 22*) today with far greater authority than previously.
Now I'm super glad I didn't give up on it.
It's all about hitting down on it, as everyone noted above.
I was hitting everything better today too.
Everything all just worked.
But now I can see where the club fits in.
I'm very pleased with it!
Thanks!!!!!!!:laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I used it (Taylor #4 Rescue, 22*) today with far greater authority than previously.
Now I'm super glad I didn't give up on it.
It's all about hitting down on it, as everyone noted above.
I was hitting everything better today too.
Everything all just worked.
But now I can see where the club fits in.
I'm very pleased with it!
Thanks!!!!!!!:laugh:
icon14.gif

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.