• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid shaft help

Irish

May 9, 2007
really struggling to hit my first ever hybrid...sonartec md...(its a little strange as I'm hitting my long irons really well...) but anyway I think that the shaft (UST Irod) needs replacing...I'm currently pulling/hooking everything with this club and I jut don't like the feel of the shaft....anyone care to provide some suggestions for a cheap hybrid shaft (.370 tip) as I don't want to give up on the club just yet...

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
really struggling to hit my first ever hybrid...sonartec md...(its a little strange as I'm hitting my long irons really well...) but anyway I think that the shaft (UST Irod) needs replacing...I'm currently pulling/hooking everything with this club and I jut don't like the feel of the shaft....anyone care to provide some suggestions for a cheap hybrid shaft (.370 tip) as I don't want to give up on the club just yet...

Did you ever consider going with steel?

Last year I switched my TM Rescue Mids to Dynamic Golds and never hit them better. A nice boring mid-launch flight that still lands soft. The new hybrids I built this year also have steel shafts and I hit them well too.

Lots of good .370 iron shafts out there -- you can match your irons if you want or go with any of a ton of great shafts. Nippon, TT, Rifle, UST, et. al. make shafts that play great in hybrids. Any of them would be a relatively cheap experiment.

Just a thought.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Or maybe have your current shaft checked for spine. If the shaft is throwing the clubhead closed at impact, then that could contribute to a hook.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Try hitting the thing like a 6 iron and not like a fairway. See if that helps, it is a trapping / digging type of shot rather than a sweeping fairway wood type shot.

I tried the md a while back. Nice club but (like most hybrids) it was abit hookey for me. I switched to a Cobra Baffler Pro and never looked back. Twinned it with a Limey, as the shaft before was a Reg. Fuji. Made a difference. I tend to draw it but very rarely turns into a nasty hook. Very difficult to get the 3 iron back in the bag now.

Good advice to try steel tho.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I wasn't really thrilled with the stock iROD either and I replaced it with an AccuFLEX Evolution iron shaft. I swapped the shaft out a little over a year ago and, at the time, the Evo iron shafts were carried by GS for like 20 bucks. Best shaft change I ever did as it completely changed the feel/performance of the club.

I no longer have the club but it wasn't because of the head/shaft combo; although it was easier than a typical long iron it was still quite demanding to hit.

OP
Irish

Irish

May 9, 2007
I like the idea of the steel shaft...I can get a project x 5.0 2 iron shaft...

its already cut to length..does anyone know what length will this be?? will it work as a hybrid shaft...(MD is 19')

thanks

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I like the idea of the steel shaft...I can get a project x 5.0 2 iron shaft...

its already cut to length..does anyone know what length will this be?? will it work as a hybrid shaft...(MD is 19')

thanks

I play my 19° Hybrid at 40" which is about 1/2" short of most manufacturer's standard for hybrids with steel shafts. I've found this length results in the most consistent ball striking for me.

I'm not sure of the hosel depth and bore to sole measurement of the MD but a quick guess and I think the shafted club will be between 40" and 40.5" with that 2 iron shaft.

I tip the shafts for a 19° hybrid like a 2 iron and the 22-23° hybrid like a 3 iron. Depending on the weight of the head and shaft the swingweight might be a tad light for you although I don't notice it if it's less than 3 pts or so. Tip weighting is always an option when you install the shaft too.

You can do a visual estimate on what the playing length of the club will be by holding the shaft up to the clubhead and making a good guesstimate of the shafting depth. That's what I would do. I think the 2 iron shaft will work out OK for flex and tipping as long as it's long enough to get you to 40-40.5".

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I also use steel in my hybrid, it maintains the distance gap from the 4 iron

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Steel here, also. I use a Black Gold x-flex three iron shaft in my 20 degree Idea Pro (I use S flex in my irons), and I have it cut to the length of my 4 iron. Its working really well. It keeps my yardage gaps more consistent, about 10-15 yards longer than my 4 iron.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Tried enough to know that I will likely only use the Steel Nippon NS950 Pro anytime I ever own a hybrid. Makes for a nice transition as far as weight between the weights on my irons and FW's, although I even backweighted/counterbalanced my FW's with 20g as well. It is the perfect shaft for me when it comes to hybrids.

The Nippon is likely my favorite shaft as far as feel, thought about getting them in my irons but when I tried them my tempo seemed a little off.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

I just put this shaft in my hybrid and really like it, and for the price you can't really go wrong. They have other weights to if you think that one would be to heavy.

NEW ALDILA NVS 105 HYBRID S FLEX - MID LAUNCH .370 Tip - eBay (item 250223085296 end time Jun-04-08 15:58:26 PDT)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
DON'T use the Aldila NVS hybrid shaft. I'm changing mine out. Nothing but slices and right now that's the only club in the bag that I'm slicing. :(

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.