• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid shaft weight question

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I bought a Cobra Baffler DWS with the 65 gm stiff VS proto shaft. The other hybrid I play is the Viper Tour I put together. It has a 76 gm Snake Eyes Proforce XT shaft also in stiff flex.

My findings are that I tend to pull or hook the Cobra but not the Viper. Un-doubtedly it has to do with my hands getting out in front but even when I feel like I hit it good it's left. With the Viper I pretty much straight or slightly right but not left.

Should I get a heavier shaft? Well at least try to find a fitter that may have one for me to hit first or is it an indian and arrow thing as usual?

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I recently purchased two Baffler pro's, a 16* with the Stiff Speeder and a 20* with S300. The 16 was a nice club from the tee but I found I had to put a smooth swing on it and kind of wait for the shaft to catch up, If i went after one it was very hit and miss. The 20 was a different story, felt so much better and handles what ever you throw at it, weather your having a rip at it or playing a little cut on the wind. I liked the S300 shafted one that much more that I sold the Speeder shafted one and replaced it with a 16* S300 instead.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
That's what I was thinking. Im going to look into either a heavier graphite shaft or a steel shaft.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I built a set of Maltby KE4 hybrids with the Graman 580 Limey shafts and love the way they feel. They have plenty of flex if you give them he useless waggle test most of us a guilty of doing, but when you swing them and load them they get quite stiff with just the right amount of kick at the end. Just my 2 cents worth. And they certainly draw attention, OMG these things would probably glow in the dark they are so bright, :laugh:

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
You're probably not going to like hearing this, but what you are describing is pretty similar to reason I did not like hybrids with the graphite shafts and the reason the Nippon that comes in the bafflers in the steel shafted option is such a good fit and the perfect shaft for a hybrid for me IMO. I look at it as kind of a midway transition between the steel shafts and graphite.

I guess the part I will add since recently reading on here that the tip size is a little different for the Baffler but will never have to worry about that myself. Something that may be worth a try, and what actually gave me a much better feel and more consistency in my TEE FW was using the Tour Lock Pro weights. May be worth trying a 20-30 gram weight in the shaft to see if it fixes the problem for you. It has really given me a more consistent feel with the 3 graphite shafted clubs I have in my bag. For me my issues always go back to tempo, and it would seem anytime I use a club with anything under about a 90g shaft, I have a hard time keeping it under control and not swinging all over the place. Do you have steel shafts in you iron's? While someone with more experience with these weights may be able to give you a better idea, if it were me I would likely put a 30g weight, as it would bring the weight up to something very similar to that of the baffler with the Nippon (maybe 5 grams less). If you have access to a place that carries bafflers, try one with the Nippon and see if it feels better.

That was one of the main reasons I ended up getting rid of my Halo's, and if I had the experience with these Tour Locks that I do now I may have kept them. The halos I believe had a 80-85g shaft if memory serves me. Then again, now that I have the TEE's I am glad I didn't. :D

edit 1 - or since you hit the viper well, you could maybe weight both on a scale and add what is need to give you a fairly consistent overall weight between the two. I can't help but think that in doing so with my similar shafted driver and fw's that it has given them an almost identical feel. (30g in the driver, 20g in the FW's, overall weight are all within a few grams.)

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Good point PA. I have the tour lock grip tool. I didn't even think about that.

Im going to give it a shot tonight and go hit it tomorrow and Ill post how it goes.

Thanks for all the input. If it doesn't feel any better Ill look for some nippon's, I have always read good things about those shafts in hybrids.

🔥 Latest posts