• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrids vs. Fairway Woods

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Ok, exactly what is the differance or purpose of a hybrid as compared to a fairway wood? I carry a 3,5,and 7 fairway woods. The 5 and 7, I hit fairly well, the 3 and me don't always get along but that's another story. Are the hybrids easier to hit than a 3 wood? Also, seeing as how my irons are the HiBore Hybrids anyway, all my long irons more closely resemble the hybrids anyway, and I can't hit the 3 in the set either, took it out for the 7 wood.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I can't hit a hybrid to save my life, but my 5 wood is a can't miss club.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
After buying and trying 5-6 different hybrids, I have sold all of them and threw the old 5 wood back in the bag. I will not try hybrids again, I can't hit them with any consistency.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't hit a hybrid. My last set of clubs had 2 hybrids and no long irons. I couldn't have hit the ocean with them from 20 yards out, lol. I gave the set to my youngest step son who is just getting started playing golf and he is having problems hitting them also. I was just curious as to what the benefits were supposed to be, since I have yet to meet someone who really liked them?

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
I'm a high handicapper and I can hit my long irons fairly well but I still carry the hybrid. The hybrid is supposed to be like hitting a long iron but w/ the easy of hitting a wood. I'm amazed to see so many people can't hit their hybrid.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Same problem here with the hybrids, everything left. I carried a 7 wood for awhile that I hit pretty well and alot better than a hybrid. I now play a Mizuno MP-57 Fli Hi 3I which I hit very well. Its kind of like a driving iron.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
If the ball is teed up then I can hit it with a hybrid, put it into any sort of rough..from short to long & there is no way in hell I manage to get a decent shot. From the fairway it's iffy at best & I simply decided hybrids aren't for me. I prefer my regular 3 & 4 irons over any hybrid.

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
My two cents....first of all, I carry two hybrids, the Nike CPR Hybrid-Woods, one 18*, one 21*. I love them. I dumped the 3 iron from my bag, and only carry the 4 iron because its my 14th club. There is a big difference I think between Hybird Woods and Hybrid Irons, so you need to determine which you are talking about. I can hit my 18* 210 yds straight as a pin, sometimes 230 when I'm swinging well. My buddy has the Sonartec Hybrid Iron 18*, and I tried it a few times.....I couldn't hit that club to save my life! The CPR is just extremely easy to hit. Plus, when I hit into the rough and under the trees ( more often than I like ), its an easy club to take a short swing low follow through and run the ball right out under the branches and a good 100 yards up the fairway.

So my point is, when you say hybrid, which kind are you referring to?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm convinced I'm just always going to have trouble finding a good club for 200-215. Tried a few hybrids and had good results sometimes and huge hooks on others. If I could find something 22* that wasn't such high spin and left biased I'd try it. I'm actually looking at a 21* Sonartec head and if I get it I'll have a Nippon steel like my irons put in it. Even hitting them well I've always hit 21* hybrids too long for the yardage I need. I still end up with a gap from 190-210. 3iron fits it, maybe I should just improve the swing to hit it better.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
I'm convinced I'm just always going to have trouble finding a good club for 200-215. Tried a few hybrids and had good results sometimes and huge hooks on others. If I could find something 22* that wasn't such high spin and left biased I'd try it. I'm actually looking at a 21* Sonartec head and if I get it I'll have a Nippon steel like my irons put in it. Even hitting them well I've always hit 21* hybrids too long for the yardage I need. I still end up with a gap from 190-210. 3iron fits it, maybe I should just improve the swing to hit it better.

Thats my week spot, 200yds just kills me.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007

Hey you should try a Bobby Jones Hybrid if you haven't already I've herd those are really nice, and they are really easy to hit.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Here's the scoop.

Hybrids should come with an instruction manual.

I have turned away thousands of dollars in sales this past year to people saying: "I can't hit this Hybrid" or "This hybrid is a hook machine" or "I'm losing distance with this hybrid, must be the shaft".....etc

By teaching them how to hit their existing hybrid.

In actuality, I would say 80% of those with hybrid issues don't know that you are NOT supposed to hit them like a small wood.....you ARE supposed to hit them like an iron, hit down and get yourself a divot damnit!:)

Hybrids have the bulk of the weight set up so when hit like an iron, the ball pops up and out....when you hit it like a wood, it goes left and low, or spiral.

Then you get those who try to compensate to avoid the pulls and all that does is decrease distance.

3 or 4 years ago, Hybrids were our #2 selling club....in 2007 it was fourth....only because now we're educating their minds not confiscating their funds.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Indacup nailed it. Sonartec has a video on how to hit a hybrid that I looked at before I bought mine.

When I was at the USBO in Milwaukee, Bubba Dickerson hit his drive (no CRUSHED his drive) way beyond Camillo Villegas' drive but in the deep rough to the right on a par 5. That grass was so long you couldn't see the ball. He took out a Adams (he plays for them) hybrid and nailed it on to the green, about 230 yards away.

I've played them out of a fairway trap. Great results. They'll stay in my bag. zaphod has replaced his 3-wood with a Nickent hybrid and is getting the same distance with super accuracy.

:)

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Indacup nailed it. Sonartec has a video on how to hit a hybrid that I looked at before I bought mine.

:)

Yep, that Sonartec video is great -- everyone who has a hybrid should watch it. Once I figured out what Indacup said my hybrid play went from horrible to "oh my god I hit this club longer and higher than my long irons and still land it soft".

My hybrids are definitely staying in the bag.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online