• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrids vs. Fairway Woods

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Ok, exactly what is the differance or purpose of a hybrid as compared to a fairway wood? I carry a 3,5,and 7 fairway woods. The 5 and 7, I hit fairly well, the 3 and me don't always get along but that's another story. Are the hybrids easier to hit than a 3 wood? Also, seeing as how my irons are the HiBore Hybrids anyway, all my long irons more closely resemble the hybrids anyway, and I can't hit the 3 in the set either, took it out for the 7 wood.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Ok, exactly what is the differance or purpose of a hybrid as compared to a fairway wood? I carry a 3,5,and 7 fairway woods. The 5 and 7, I hit fairly well, the 3 and me don't always get along but that's another story. Are the hybrids easier to hit than a 3 wood? Also, seeing as how my irons are the HiBore Hybrids anyway, all my long irons more closely resemble the hybrids anyway, and I can't hit the 3 in the set either, took it out for the 7 wood.
I don't see any benefit in trying to replace a 3-wood with a hybrid. The biggest benefit of the hybrid is the more controllable shaft length, combined with a clubhead design that helps get the ball in the air. I personally don't look at hybrids as fairway wood replacements; rather, they are long iron replacements. I currently have 3. 4, 5 iron hybrids. I tried a 2-hybrid once and didn't get on with it all. I prefer my 4-wood. There are a number of people who prefer a 7-wood over a 4-hybrid. I personally prefer the compact head design of the hybrid. 3-woods are hard to hit well. Join the club.

RJTee

Dec 5, 2007
Other than head design that Eracer mentioned I have found little difference in normal shots from the fairway or light rough. Been experimenting with a 9 wood or 4 hybrid recently and found the 4 hybrid had a little more utility (hence the utility wood nomenclature) for shots around the green, low running pitches under trees, easier to use out of fairway bunkers ime. The head design seems more favorable with hybrids in these instances. So far neither club has replaced my 3 or 4 iron from the tee and middle of the fairway, as I hit them straighter with a lower trajectory (windy home course) that I prefer.

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
I have a 3 hybrid and a 7 wood. I can hit both pretty much the same distance, but with different ball flights, launch angles, and from different lies. My hybrid offers me some great shaping capabilities and will do me some great favours from some pretty stupid lies!

However, the idea that a hybrid can replace something like a 3 wood is a little interesting. Most 3h's replace the 3 iron. I can hit my 3h around about 220 pretty much dead straight, and yet I can knock a 3 wood around 250-260. I could never get rid of my 3 wood for a 3h just because of the loss distance.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I found a lower lofted hybrid harder to hit. I tried a 16* briefly and could hit a 5W way longer and more consistantly. I have to get up around 20* before I can hit a hybrid very well. Forget the FW wood, I could actually hit a 9.5* driver off the deck more consistantly than the 3h, lol.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
In my experience from demoing and playing quite a variety of each, I usually hit a hybrid about 2* shorter than a FW because of the shorter shaft and makeup of the club. So I hit a 18* hybrid about the same as a 20* FW and so on. It is also my experience that at least for my game it is a mistake to try and hit a hybrid that is less than 18*. Just not as predictable and consistent as a FW. I would bargain to guess that is the Manufacturers and Retail establishments experience as well, since it is a very difficult task to even find hybrids to demo in less than 18*. According to where I have gone, they just can't easily move the clubs and most people who demo them decide they are maybe not the best choice unless it is a more established golfer. The slow learner that I am, it took me about 4-6 months to figure out the 16* was a poor choice for me.

To even go further on my personal preference and experience, I have found it is not a good idea to stagger them because of the shaft length. So Using say a 16* Hybrid then 20* FW then 23* hybrid just mentally threw me off of my game. Where going fluently from irons to hybrids to FW's works well. Currently I like the setup of having a 17* FW, then 18* Hybrid and 20* FW to choose from, then a 23* hybrid. I seem to hit the hybrids better early in the year, and the FW's better as the season progresses. In March I will be picking up some new TEE FW's in 16.5* and 21*, so I tend to believe my 18* hybrid may not see alot of play the upcoming year, but who knows.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I agree with others in that I view hybrids as long iron not wood replacements. Like Ez, my cut-off is 20* (although I'm sure it has more to do with the shaft length than loft). In the latter part of the year I put my 19* 5W up against my 19* 2h and found that I could hit my 5W much more consistently.

🔥 Latest posts