• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

hybrids!!??

tiger hood

Mar 6, 2008
i was looking for a club which i could hit low and straight with adequate distance for use on tight driving holes and during windy conditions...i already had a 2004 big bertha 2-iron with a nice big flanged clubhead which i reshafted with an nspro 850 steel shaft and which i could hit nice and low(not always straight though) anywhere from 210-220 yds if i do my part.......THEN i had the bright idea that maybe a low lofted hybrid would be easier to hit and give me similar results BUT with a little more distance....i got a hard to find 1H heavenwood from ebay which at 14 degrees is probably the lowest lofted hybrid available and not even being made anymore in that loft by callaway....well...........there is no way to hit these hybrids LOW!!!(BTW this was my first hybrid)....or else i am just not good enough to do it.....just wanted to share this experience....thanks for reading this..PS...just traded the 1H for 2 cleveland wedges!!!...another PS...i have also just decided that i am not a hybrid guy...will just stick to my fairway woods..

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I think the general idea behind the design of the hybrid is to move the center of gravity lower and further back from an iron to get the ball up in the air easier. Although you may be able to get a different shaft to accommodate your needs, my experience from having tried the lower lofted hybrids is that FW's are just much easier to hit that a hybrid with a loft lower than about 16* and you would likely be able to get the results you want with a lower launch on a FW anyways.

edit 1 - Have you given any thought to shortening the shaft on your FW? That is generally what makes the hybrid easier to hit than a FW, and speaking from experience you may topically hit the same lofted FW further than the Hybrid, in large part because of the shaft length. By having the shaft shortened properly, you would likely accomplish what you want with the better control and hit it the same distance as a low lofted hybrid.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I hit hybirds low all the time.

Move the ball back in your stance and let it rip.

I move it back in my stance and choke down to hit a nice low shot out of trouble all the time.

OP
T

tiger hood

Mar 6, 2008
thanks for the nice tips guys...i really wanted to use it only with a tee...moving it back in my stance should work too but i was hoping i could just use my normal swing and hit it low just like what i do with the 2-iron......

Members online