• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid's

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
for a 1 handicap, i have a lot of diffuculty hitting fairway woods. I mean a LOT of difficulty. So bad that its like a vanity club in my bag, i just dont hit it. But i do carry three hybrids (i know not to many good golfers carry this many, but it works for me) and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with a 3 wood replacement hybrid. I know TM used to make a 14* and Callaway also makes a 14* ft( i have the 17* and really like it). I think PING makes one as well. Anyone use one? Thanks

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Take a look at the Sonartec Md. I just checked the site and they offer a 0i/3W replacement at 15*.

The Sonartec has a taller, less offset, more iron like face than a lot of hybrids out there. Those two reasons are why I recently dropped my 19* Md for a more wood like hybrid (Ping G5).

I can handle the 23* Md (it is VERY safe in my bag) but the 17* took a little more skill than I currently have to offer. I have a buddy that plays off a 4 and he works magic with 17* Md.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
for a 1 handicap, i have a lot of diffuculty hitting fairway woods. I mean a LOT of difficulty. So bad that its like a vanity club in my bag, i just dont hit it. But i do carry three hybrids (i know not to many good golfers carry this many, but it works for me) and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with a 3 wood replacement hybrid. I know TM used to make a 14* and Callaway also makes a 14* ft( i have the 17* and really like it). I think PING makes one as well. Anyone use one? Thanks
Are you in the position where 3 wood is the only play very often? If you have a 17* hybrid, a 14* will only go 10 yards further. I'd suggest an extra wedge instead.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I carry 3 hybrids as well (19, 22 and 25), and when I flush it, the 19 will make 230 yards. I've even hit it off a peg out to 250. So even though I still carry a 3W, it is more of an alternate driver for me than it is a FW wood. I haven't hit anything from over 200 yards but my TM rescue mids since fall of 2005, so they won't be leaving my bag any time soon :)

OP
fore142

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
my problem is i am not a very long hitter for my age (15). I hit my driver about 240 on the fly, which is all im getting this time of year, and during the summer it rolls out to about 260. I can hit the 17 up to about 215 which works well with the other distances in my bag. I play a lot of courses that are over 7000 yards in tournaments, so my length definatly hurts me. on these courses there will almost always be a par 3 in the 230 range which i really struggle with. Also i will run into par fours in the 475 range that are very difficult for me to reach in two. This is the reason i am looking for something that i would be able to hit in place of my three wood.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Callaway makes a 14* FT Hybrid. Their pre-owned shop have several shaft options in stock.

OP
fore142

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
yeah i knew they made one, i was just wondering if anyone had had any sucess with them in the past

Members online

No members online now.