• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I can't get off the teebox

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
But thankfully I can pitch and putt. Man, it's been a while since I was so horrible off the tee. I hit no fairways with the driver, not a one. The whole round was a pitching out of the junk and trying to get up and down. On the last hole, 511yd. par 5, I told the TEE "this is your last chance, I've got the R7TP just waiting to take it's spot back". Well I pulled that one dead left into the rough. Had a borderline lie and an opening between trees, tried to hit the 3W with a massive draw. Borderline chunked it with a tiny draw, maybe 150yds. but good enough. From the right rough I hit a PW to 16-18ft.. Simply went through my putting routine, head down and stroked it. I looked up to see it just drop in on the left side for a birdie and an 87. Whew!

All I have to say is work on your short game. I sprayed my teeshots all over the GD place today. Actually hit a couple fairways... unfortunately not the hole I was playing. We played with a guy who was nailing fairways. Unfortunately as good as he hit his tee shots was as bad as his chipping, pitching, bunker shots and putting were. A couple holes he hit the fairway, hit into a bunker, needed about 15ft. to pin and hit it 70yds. Yikes!!

The TEE is getting yanked. Back to the R7TP. I'm going to hold onto it for a little while, maybe give it another shot. I'm swinging like crap with everything pretty much, well hitting from the lies I put myself in it's sort of hard to tell actaully. Anyway, putt made me feel better and 6th straight round in the 80's.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
I had the same conversation with my FSpeed 3 wood, and it delivered a 250+ bomb, and a few more over 225 (thanks to some help from swingacademy)... Driver is also safe, for now. Putter is definately on the hot seat.

I will try and make a Pelz style chart with wedges at half,3/4, and full distances. Noticed my 52* is good at only 80 and 60 yds. Id like to get it closer inside 100yds than 15 to 20 feet.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Do you use your PW? Sometimes I'll hit my 50* wedge instead a SW on a SW yardage so it will release a litte upon landing. I didn't hit my irons particularly well today either but PW-GW-SW were very good. Was able to move the ball around and use the slope of the green to get a few in close to save pars. Another thing I've noticed a lot of guys don't seem to consider is up and downhill lies. An uphill will add loft and a downhill delofts. So I may hit a 110yd. SW or a 90yd. GW depending on the lie. This becomes even more important on short pitch shots.

The TEE might end up being too much for me. Blocks right and pulls left mean I'm struggling to square the face up. The VS Proto is fairly stout shaft, was in the Burner as well, now it's sitting deeper in the TEE head which is 2* open to boot. Thinking about building a 9* regular TEE with a CompNT 65S in it instead. I hit the 9* plenty high, higher than the QuadTP actually.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Short game is the backbone of a good game--as in when the driver goes to sh*t. At least you can post an honorable score.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
From 110 yards to 80 yards, I would much rather make partial swings with my 47° PW than make a full swing with my 52°.

My contact will be crisper with the partial swing; much less chance of flipping and getting a fattie.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
From 110 yards to 80 yards, I would much rather make partial swings with my 47° PW than make a full swing with my 52°.

My contact will be crisper with the partial swing; much less chance of flipping and getting a fattie.
I'm just the opposite. On partial shots my "PANIC" muscles kick in, and I end up chunking or blading. Very hard to trust a short swing and keep my hands from hacking at the ball. Don't know why. Doesn't make sense. But that's the way it is. Full swings are seldom a problem.

Maybe I'm a canditate for the "eight wedge" system - one for every 10 yards from 100 on in. Forget about the last 20 yards. There's no club that I can safely use when I get that close to the green.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Yeah, I gotta play smarter too. I dont take pin placements, greens into consideration as often I should... just pace off a yardage, aim and swing.

I usually pull out my 52* wedge when Im inside 80 yards... but I should figure out my 1/2 and 3/4 PW yardages... I also have weird yardage gaps in my irons, but it could just be that Im always playing in windy conditions.
7i= 135
8i= 115
9i = 105
PW = 95 yd,
GapW = 80 yd,
3/4 Gap = 60 yd..
1/2 Gap = 35 yd..

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, I gotta play smarter too. I dont take pin placements, greens into consideration as often I should... just pace off a yardage, aim and swing.

I usually pull out my 52* wedge when Im inside 80 yards... but I should figure out my 1/2 and 3/4 PW yardages... I also have weird yardage gaps in my irons, but it could just be that Im always playing in windy conditions.
7i= 135
8i= 115
9i = 105
PW = 95 yd,
GapW = 80 yd,
3/4 Gap = 60 yd..
1/2 Gap = 35 yd..

Why don't you use your SW? I probably use my SW only second to my putter during a round.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I just started using my 60* and 56* more often. It's so much more easier. I used to love playing the bump n run with my PW, but since forcing myself to use sandwedge and lob more often, I'm landing closer.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm just the opposite. On partial shots my "PANIC" muscles kick in, and I end up chunking or blading. Very hard to trust a short swing and keep my hands from hacking at the ball. Don't know why. Doesn't make sense. But that's the way it is. Full swings are seldom a problem.

Maybe I'm a canditate for the "eight wedge" system - one for every 10 yards from 100 on in. Forget about the last 20 yards. There's no club that I can safely use when I get that close to the green.

This is where I believe the way I've practiced and the way I look at a shorter shot is an advantage. To practice I've used my bag, my dad's pool, a bush... whatever. I hit over that object with a pitch shot to practice a yardage. Now when I'm faced with a shot over a bunker or any old pitch shot, I can pick a target distance and hit it over a spot. That gets me to make an agressive swing even though it's not a full swing. Same for chipping. I pick a spot and try to land it past that spot. Same thing with bunkers. Hardly ever do I hit anywhere near a full swing out of a bunker.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Why don't you use your SW? I probably use my SW only second to my putter during a round.

I have no idea. I just really like using the 52 wedge and use it for everything inside of 35 yds (cept in the sand and on the green, of course)... Ill find out what a full SW then consider using it more. When I first started playing, I would chunk my SW, so I just got used to not using it.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I have no idea. I just really like using the 52 wedge and use it for everything inside of 35 yds (cept in the sand and on the green, of course)... Ill find out what a full SW then consider using it more. When I first started playing, I would chunk my SW, so I just got used to not using it.

If you can find a place to just hit it around in the grass I'd recommend it. Get the hands ahead and don't make a big weight shift and you should be fine. It will add a whole new weapon as you'll be able to hit it higher with more spin than the GW around the greens.

loftgolf

noob no more!
Jun 13, 2008
!Q!

OK, enough is enough! First off, let's all realize that this game was designed by Satan. Yes, Beezabub, the bad guy, etc. You will never, ever master this game unless you trade your soul to the devil, which I think is NOT a good idea! I did not trade my soul and am happy to shoot a gazillion over par, cause I knowI'll go to heaven:emot-ange. The courses in heaven just have to be easier! Wow, could you imagine if there wasn't golf in heaven! I'd be pissed I didn't kill a whole lot of people I wanted to!

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Aight, so I tried a SW around the green with good lies, and it worked very well for me. Once getting the ball to within 3 inches from 50 yds. But I was flubbing my GapWedge all day... jealousy perhaps? who knows.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I just started using my 60* and 56* more often. It's so much more easier. I used to love playing the bump n run with my PW, but since forcing myself to use sandwedge and lob more often, I'm landing closer.

Proof that it takes all kinds. I used to hits lobs and flops really well, and everywhere, but then I started working on bump and runs that I could never hit on the courses I used to play. Those got better, but now I struggle with the high ones; I can hit 'em, the precision just isn't there anymore.

Staff online

Members online