• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I can't get off the teebox

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Semi-threadjack here. I just got back from a lesson, and we worked on re-vamping my short pitches, since that's the worst part of my game. He taught me Ezra's hinge-and-hold motion, which I never really understood until now. At first, I was blading everything, but as I started to get used to the feeling of releasing the shoulders without releaseing the clughead I started to feel it.

Right now it's still "hinge-and-hope," but I'll stick with it and see what happens. I know one thing, my shots around the green can't get worse...

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
If you get that short game dialed, you'll be unstoppable ;)

Of course, I'll want 6 shots for you using that illegal driver. :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
That was a Freudian slip of massive proportions there, E. I always knew you had a thing for me.
Careful, MCDavis will be jealous...
icon12.gif

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
If you get that short game dialed, you'll be unstoppable ;)

Of course, I'll want 6 shots for you using that illegal driver. :D
That driver is getting replaced. As much as I love it, I need to find a conforming driver. I think an 10.5º HiBore XL might be the next ho (once I sell the 9.5º HiBore XL I ho'd last week...) I'll trim that Comp NT r-flex I've got about half inch, stick it in there, and go deeeeep...!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I hit the XLS at a demo day last week. My favorite of all the contenders I have hit so far.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I hit the XLS at a demo day last week. My favorite of all the contenders I have hit so far.
Cool. You haven't done the TM demo yet, right? I'm interested in the Burner Tour. I really liked the Burner when I hit it, and I'm not sure why I never ho'd one of those...

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Semi-threadjack here. I just got back from a lesson, and we worked on re-vamping my short pitches, since that's the worst part of my game. He taught me Ezra's hinge-and-hold motion, which I never really understood until now. At first, I was blading everything, but as I started to get used to the feeling of releasing the shoulders without releaseing the clughead I started to feel it.

Right now it's still "hinge-and-hope," but I'll stick with it and see what happens. I know one thing, my shots around the green can't get worse...

See, I told you for free.
icon10.gif
I played a little par 3 course with twofast today, same 9 twice. We used no tees off the back of the teeboxes. Good practice as most were a PW-GW-SW distance. I use that hinge/hold motion for my practice swing on every wedge shot, even full ones. Nothing spectacular playing wise but I really have to start hitting fwy's on the real courses and take advantage of the short iron and wedge striking. Basically I'd like to see 3 bogies become pars and 1 par become a birdie. That would get me to sub 80 most rounds. I'm going to break out the 3W as option #1 for a few weeks, hit more fwy's regardless of yardage and see how the scoring goes.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
That was a Freudian slip of massive proportions there, E. I always knew you had a thing for me.

Careful, MCDavis will be jealous...
icon12.gif

Well I was until I read this:

I've got about a half inch I can stick in there and go deeeeep...!

Now, I'm not so sure.... :D

Bring the Renegade if you've got room. I'd love to hit it just once.

My G5 has a Comp NT 65 R playing 45" you're welcome to hit. I can also bring the Adams 460D with the stock Proforce 65 R if you have any desire to try it.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
See, I told you for free.
icon10.gif
I played a little par 3 course with twofast today, same 9 twice. We used no tees off the back of the teeboxes. Good practice as most were a PW-GW-SW distance. I use that hinge/hold motion for my practice swing on every wedge shot, even full ones. Nothing spectacular playing wise but I really have to start hitting fwy's on the real courses and take advantage of the short iron and wedge striking. Basically I'd like to see 3 bogies become pars and 1 par become a birdie. That would get me to sub 80 most rounds. I'm going to break out the 3W as option #1 for a few weeks, hit more fwy's regardless of yardage and see how the scoring goes.

What is this "hinge and hold" motion you speak of? I'm thinking from the name it's what I do already, I'm just curious.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It's simply to hinge the wrists so the hands are leading the clubhead and don't break the wrists coming through the ball. I use it for my chip shots then just a longer version of the swing for pitch shots. It's pretty much a fundamental of my short game as I can just open up my stance and the club will natural release itself left without having to use the wrists.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
It's simply to hinge the wrists so the hands are leading the clubhead and don't break the wrists coming through the ball. I use it for my chip shots then just a longer version of the swing for pitch shots. It's pretty much a fundamental of my short game as I can just open up my stance and the club will natural release itself left without having to use the wrists.

That's what I guessed, just wanted to be sure. I do the same.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
EZ - I went to the RANGE today!

I am going again tomorrow!

The belly-button drill is for real. My goal is to spend a few weeks hammering this into muscle memory. I'll post a video after that and see if there is a difference.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
EZ - I went to the RANGE today!

I am going again tomorrow!

The belly-button drill is for real. My goal is to spend a few weeks hammering this into muscle memory. I'll post a video after that and see if there is a difference.

Good to hear. I went so GD much in the last month I got tendonitis in my right elbow, lol. I hammered mine straight through the muscle into tendon memory I guess.
icon10.gif

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I used your "hinge and hold" method yesterday. I'll be using it a lot more that's for sure.

There's this hole on the course I play, only about 295 I think. 2 huge bunkers with about a 5 yard gap between them, right in front of the green. They swallow anything and on your approach you'd better be hitting something high with tons of spin, or nothing will bite. I started with a drive. For some reason I always hit a nice drive on this hole. I usually start it out over the left bunker and fade it, trying to land it inline with the gap. I smashed one to about 5 yards before the right bunker, and was using pinnacles, just to see if there was any distance difference. Used the hinge and hold method to get it over the bunker, worked like a charm. Landed it just a little pin high, with a 7 footer for bird.

Seriously Ez, you'd make a great teacher. It's easy to understand the stuff you say and you have pretty simple drills that make a ton of sense. And no, this isn't a man crush. lol

🔥 Latest posts