• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I changed my stance.....slightly

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I have always tried to use the stance shown in Hogans' Five Lessons: slightly open on short irons, square on long irons, slightly closed on driver. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I guess I'm not Hogan after all.

The big problem I was having was a low ball flight with the longer clubs and a constricted feeling as I was swinging the club downward. I would get a lot of low hooks and low slices if the ball wasn't on a tee.

Last week I started experimenting with a slightly open stance for all the clubs, including the metalwoods & driver.

Eureka!

I am now hitting much higher & straighter shots. I can rotate my hips faster on the downswing and get a little more distance on the driver. And I feel much more arm freedom on the downswing.

I think my expanding waistline has something to do with this. A slightly open stance gets my belly out of the way of my arms.

It's all the GF's fault: she made me quit smoking and I've gained 20 pounds in the last year. :real angry:

Diet starting Monday.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I have tried to model my swing after hogan's five lessons as well. I tried a slightly closed stance with the driver, it just didn't work for me. Everything is slightly open for me now too.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I have never been able to hit well with my feet flared out. I need to keep them at a right angle to my line.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I can't see how Hogan faded the ball out of that stance. I hit a 5yd. draw using it. Good luck with the change Doc. I'll cross my fingers I don't see a "WTF is with this GD Slice" thread from you at the end of the month.
icon10.gif

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I can't see how Hogan faded the ball out of that stance.

Put your hands on the club like Hogan did. Then you'll understand. I'm currently rebuilding to get rid of the lefts. You can hit a cut pretty easy with your left thumb on the top of the shaft.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I try to use the 5 lessons grip. Very easy fades. I don't go quite as extreme, my hand is turned just a bit more to the right, otherwise it's pretty close.

5iron

SibDVM, i opened my stance and then squared my hips off, and there was a definite improvement when it was pointed out by my Dad's friend yesterday, about how my stance was bad there.

Members online