• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I come to you today, a broken man....

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
My "Ho'ing being done" lasted a whole what? one-two weeks....i knew it was a bad omen when the first comments on my WITB thread were that "a ho's job is never done"

I introduce to you my first callaway purchase ever....after all the bad mouthing i've done they finally did something right.

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood.
1H-14* of loft
Callaway RCH 75 Firm Shaft. GP Multicompound Grip.

I went straight to the range after the purchase....
I don't know how Callaway didn't get the Nobel prize for this club.

it was deeper, more accurate, more consistent, and with a lower, boring flight than my Launcher 3w, which now sits in the bullpen after a glorious month in the bag.

Much easier for me to hit than the Launcher, and just as forgiving.

I may reshaft this, not positive yet. I'm thinking Fuji Banzai in S, or X about .5" to 1" longer than it is right now.

I would say i'm done ho'ing now, but i'd just end up with something else in a couple weeks.....
HW.JPG

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Nice pickup.

I think, at some level, we are all hoes. Just some of us more rabid than others.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
what bore diameter does Callaway use?

does their opti-fit system or whatever make it harder to reshaft if you don't have the right tools? I think that applies to this club, but I honestly have no clue. the ferrule is crazy lookin.

thanks.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Hope it plays on the course like it did on the range for you!

Nice club!

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
a mishit driver goes about the same distance as a decent HW shot.

I absolutely nutted one with this and hit my nice little 10 yard fade, low, just shredded the headwind......carried 250. (the back green at Smileys, MGP)

the majority were carrying around 234-240 and then rolling out maybe another 15 yards.

i can't help but feel i should be getting more out of this club though

the shaft on this thing is the same length as my 18* precept hybrid. I think i'm gonna search around for a heavier, more consistent aftermarket shaft and throw it in .5" longer than it is right now to keep the distance the same from what i'd lose from a heavier shaft and get all the accuracy it provides still.

any suggestions for an aftermarket hybrid shaft?

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i decided to pull the SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 out of my launcher 3 wood and put it in the HW. after accounting for the bore-thru i've determined that the club should end up about a half inch longer, maybe .75"

this is going to be one beast of a club.

at 46" the SK CPM's at 265. its been cut down and plays 43.25" in the launcher so the CPM would be higher i believe (not exactly sure how CPM is measured) . and now add that into a bore-thru head....this thing'll be pushin re-bar before long. i'll set up for my normal shot with this and be hitting tiger's stinger.

i cannot wait.

i forgot to ask this, do GP Multicompounds come off easy with an air compressor? or are they a pain? i've heard cord grips don't do so well and this is half cord. its very new, and i don't want it to go to waist on this RCH shaft once i pulle it. when i could replace the crappy Tour-wrap thats on my 2-EZ hybrid with it.

thanks.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
if the multicompound grip was put on with air you'll have no trouble blowing it off

if it's taped it's tough - I've saved a few using a cut drycleaning hanger, solvent, and an awl, but I swear I'm not going to try again - 15 minutes of my time is worth more than $6.50 or whatever the grips cost now

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
i forgot to ask this, do GP Multicompounds come off easy with an air compressor? or are they a pain? i've heard cord grips don't do so well and this is half cord. its very new, and i don't want it to go to waist on this RCH shaft once i pulle it. when i could replace the crappy Tour-wrap thats on my 2-EZ hybrid with it.

Are you doing the grip yourself or having a shop do it?

I agree with RickinMA, if it's been taped then blowing it off won't work a lot of times. If you are having a shop do it, they should have a tool like this one that will allow them to remove the grip for re-use even if it was taped. I've got the same tool and it works pretty well.

If you are doing it yourself or want some help, let me know -- I can do it on my gripping station here easy enough.

I don't blame you not wanting to waste a new grip, those are nice grips.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
is there any way of telling if it was taped or air compressed while its still on the shaft?

i haven't really decided if i'm doing this one myself. that bore-thru will mess with my head along with Cally's opti-fit system. i think i might have this one professionally done just to be on the safe side so i don't screw everything up.

thanks.

kow_ciller

Master of the 3-putt
Mar 3, 2005
That club isn't one of the opti-fit clubs, its just a normal bore-thru. Just get the right Ferrule and you should be alright.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
ah okay great.

thanks.

i think i'm still going to have someone else do it, i wouldn't know how to remove a bore-thru shaft without drilling.. i guess i could drill ince the shaft is crap, but i'd like to keep it intact in case this shaft just doesn't work in this club.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Probly a good call to pay the 15$ charge to get the shafts switched by the local shop instead of risking it yourself, especially to save the shaft just in case.

🔥 Latest posts