• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I don't claim him...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Our son is almost 40 years old. He will retire from the Army in about 1 1/2 years. Has spent most of his career with the 82nd Airborne and the 5th Special Operations Group. This is a kid that never played a sport in school. He had never fired a firearm before enlisting in the Army. When he left for basic training, he was 6"-3" and 137 pounds.

He loves to jump out of perfectly good airplanes and run marathons. Over the years he has become a muscular 6'-3", 205 pound package. He cannot understand why his knees are shot already. Well...

Yesterday, he ran a 50K... 33 mile... trail run!! Uwharrie Gold Rush — Uwharrie 100 If you pull up this site, you will see a graph of the elevation changes. 5,000 feet of up and down through the "race". He gave us a rundown, last night, of how much Motrin he took before the race and again how much halfway through. Said he went home, took an Epsom salts bath, and found a bottle of good whiskey!

Yep! Not my kid. Can't be related to this lazy of geezer.........

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Definitely takes a different breed of person, for whom I have utmost respect!!

My brother was commissioned as an Officer in the 80's. Went through Airborne and Ranger School, then served in the 10th Mountain Division to finish his 4 years Active Duty requirement for his scholarship. Got out as a Captain, 6 months before the 1st Gulf War. He landed on his shoulder his second to last jump in school, was told he could make the last jump, or go through it all again after it healed. He said strap me in, not going through the whole thing again.

Kinda makes me never want to ever mention that my shoulder has bothered bothered me all year from swinging a golf club. :)

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You mean he doesn't play golf?
The few times we've had the opportunity to play since he's been in the Army, he hits the ball a MILE! Just has no idea where it it going!!!! Young, he was more into video games. Now... it's running and gym work. If he keeps it up, he'll be 70 years old before he gets to 50!!!! :>)

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Definitely takes a different breed of person, for whom I have utmost respect!!

My brother was commissioned as an Officer in the 80's. Went through Airborne and Ranger School, then served in the 10th Mountain Division to finish his 4 years Active Duty requirement for his scholarship. Got out as a Captain, 6 months before the 1st Gulf War. He landed on his shoulder his second to last jump in school, was told he could make the last jump, or go through it all again after it healed. He said strap me in, not going through the whole thing again.

Kinda makes me never want to ever mention that my shoulder has bothered bothered me all year from swinging a golf club. :)
Yep! I enlisted in 1966, but was turned down due to extremely poor eyesight. Probably lucked out for not seeing Viet Nam. My dad served in WWII. One of my wife's uncles was killed when his plane went down in Germany 10 days before the Germans surrendered. She has ended up with many of the letters he wrote home, anticipating hunting and fishing when he returned.
When with the 5th Group, our son saw some "quick and short" deployments. One of those required he not have anything with him that would identify his being U.S. military. On that one, he still cannot tell his wife or us where he was deployed to.
He'll retire with full medical and a good retirement pension for life. The military has been a good ride for him. I would recommend it to any young person looking to learn a trade, discipline, commitment, work ethic.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Yep! I enlisted in 1966, but was turned down due to extremely poor eyesight. Probably lucked out for not seeing Viet Nam. My dad served in WWII. One of my wife's uncles was killed when his plane went down in Germany 10 days before the Germans surrendered. She has ended up with many of the letters he wrote home, anticipating hunting and fishing when he returned.
When with the 5th Group, our son saw some "quick and short" deployments. One of those required he not have anything with him that would identify his being U.S. military. On that one, he still cannot tell his wife or us where he was deployed to.
He'll retire with full medical and a good retirement pension for life. The military has been a good ride for him. I would recommend it to any young person looking to learn a trade, discipline, commitment, work ethic.
My Dad served in the Army, retired after serving 23 years and completed CGSC in Ft Leavenworth, my Uncle (Mothers twin brother) served as well in the Air Force, who was MIA in Vietnam, whom I was named after. They found his remains in a Museum in Vietnam when Bob Dole went back over in '94.

Interestingly, my Wife and I were out in Kansas earlier this month to visit her family, my brother came to visit us for a couple days after before we flew out in KC and Lawrence, and we went back to Ft Leavenworth to see were we use to live back in the early '80s.

Interesting you mention your poor eyesight. My Dad was first accepted to the Air Force Academy. He wanted to be a pilot, but was Color Blind, so that wasn't an option. So he went to Wichita State, met my Mom there, and then went into the Army.

Last edited:

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I ran a couple of mini triathlons while in the Army. Quarter mile swim, 25 mile bike ride, followed by a 5 mile run. All in gear with a 20 lb ruck sack. Good times. I'm exhausted just thinking about it now.

🔥 Latest posts