• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I don't understand this one...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I am playing on Sunday morning and am on #10 - a 195 yard slightly uphill par 3.

I get out my TM RM 22* hybrid and hit it nice and square but about 2 yards short of the green. I chip up and 2 putt for bogey.

Two holes later, on a dogleg right par four, I find myself 195 to the center of the green, but my ball is down in the rough to the point that the top of the ball is even with the top of the grass.

Take out the same club....tell myself to hit it with a good downward blow - which I do.

The ball flies out hot and at normal height, headed toward the left side of the green....

I go up there....no ball. Check the two leftside bunkers.

No ball.

Check the back fringe....nope.

One of my playing partners points out the ball 15 yards past the back edge of the green. I've just hit the same club out of moderately deep rough 210 yards. Same club I hit only 185 when placed upon a tee just two holes previously.

My normal yardage for this club is 205. Still trying to figure out how it got out of the rough and carried beyond normal yardage....and frankly it landed in rough...so it did not get any runout. If it had hit fairway, I would have gotten another 5-7 yards out of it for a total of 215-217 or so.

Can't figure this one out.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
You're an animal.

I hit my 23* Nickent 190-195 yards, when I hit it well. Out of the rough, it could go anywhere or nowhere.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Easy. You caught a knuckleball flier. Most likely it hit the green with no spin whatsoever and shot off the back like a rocket. Off the tee you had backspin on it.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Easy. You caught a knuckleball flier. Most likely it hit the green with no spin whatsoever and shot off the back like a rocket. Off the tee you had backspin on it.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner!

Sounds like you've hit that shot too, eh? :laugh:

(I know I have :D)

Edit: One thing I always do when something like this happens to me is look for a "skid mark" my ball may have left on the green. Usually you'll find a long shallow ball mark if you hit one of these burners throught the green. Repairing the ball mark (if you find it) is always good too!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm pretty sure that hitting a hybrid off a tee will shorten the distance a bit, as it flattens out the trajectory.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I hit generally my hybrids higher and with more backspin off the tee than from the fairway or rough.

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
I bet it actually came out a club lower too. When I hit a descending blow to get a ball out of the rough, I frequently get a little lower ball flight and longer carry.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I hit generally my hybrids higher and with more backspin off the tee than from the fairway or rough.

Interesting MGP, since the design concept of a hybrid puts the CG back and down, which I would think would lead to higher trajectory shots coming off the first two grooves.

Maybe you play your hybrids more like a fairway wood, and I play mine more like an iron.

Then agin, I could be just plain W-R-O-N-G. (I'll spell it, since I can't really bring myself to say it...:laugh:)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Maybe he just is an animal, and crushed it with his true strength.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Interesting MGP, since the design concept of a hybrid puts the CG back and down, which I would think would lead to higher trajectory shots coming off the first two grooves.

Maybe you play your hybrids more like a fairway wood, and I play mine more like an iron.

Then agin, I could be just plain W-R-O-N-G. (I'll spell it, since I can't really bring myself to say it...:laugh:)

I've never really thought about it. I do try to hit my hybrids more like mid irons when it does enter my swing thought. The only time I really get into trouble with my hybrids is when I swing them like a fairway wood with a "sweeping" swing. I'll sometimes pull the ball low and left when I do that. If I swing my hybrids like a 5 iron then I almost always get high and straight ball flight.

Maybe he just is an animal, and crushed it with his true strength.

You can't be talking about me, must be talking about Bravo. The only animal I swing like is a chipmunk. :laugh:

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I hit my hybrids both ways.

Off a tee or in the fairway, I sweep.

In the rough, I hit down on it....and the deeper the harder I hit down.

I think Jeff's got it right.

It was the Animal Factor.........

Members online