• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I figured something out...

bogeymaker

Jun 22, 2005
Slow and steady wins the race - er, hits it straight. I was on the range today and was just hitting my 3 wood...a whole bucket with the 3 wood. Mainly because I dont get my new irons until tomorrow, but I have been hitting my 3 wood terribly the last few times out.

Well, I was swingling like normal for the first 20 balls or so and for the first 20 balls or so I was shanking it, duffing it, pushing it, slicing it, etc. Mainly because I think I was just trying to hit my 3 wood 300 yards. I was pounding it and it wasnt working. 165 yards, max with a slice or push...even some dead hooks, but none of them went far.

Then, for some odd reason, I slowed my backswing down and swung the club at about 80% of my power. I hit it 200 yards and straight down the fairway with a little fade...I did it again, and again and again with the same result. Then I tried killing it again and went right back to the shanks and duffs, etc.

So, I have finally got the "smooth and easy" nto my brain...let's see if I can keep it there with the new irons tomorrow.

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
bogeymaker said:
Slow and steady wins the race - er, hits it straight. I was on the range today and was just hitting my 3 wood...a whole bucket with the 3 wood. Mainly because I dont get my new irons until tomorrow, but I have been hitting my 3 wood terribly the last few times out.

Well, I was swingling like normal for the first 20 balls or so and for the first 20 balls or so I was shanking it, duffing it, pushing it, slicing it, etc. Mainly because I think I was just trying to hit my 3 wood 300 yards. I was pounding it and it wasnt working. 165 yards, max with a slice or push...even some dead hooks, but none of them went far.

Then, for some odd reason, I slowed my backswing down and swung the club at about 80% of my power. I hit it 200 yards and straight down the fairway with a little fade...I did it again, and again and again with the same result. Then I tried killing it again and went right back to the shanks and duffs, etc.

So, I have finally got the "smooth and easy" nto my brain...let's see if I can keep it there with the new irons tomorrow.

I've had a very similar experience recently...but it's maintaining the 'steady tempo' discipline once on the course that gets me.

Dunno what it is, but my body doesn't do what my head says...

Head.."steady tempo...steady tempo...steady tempo"

Body.."don't listen to him, he's an idiot...WHACK!"

Me..."Oh for %^#!s sake...i'll take a provisional, guys"

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
I've had a very similar experience recently...but it's maintaining the 'steady tempo' discipline once on the course that gets me.

Dunno what it is, but my body doesn't do what my head says...

Head.."steady tempo...steady tempo...steady tempo"

Body.."don't listen to him, he's an idiot...WHACK!"

Me..."Oh for %^#!s sake...i'll take a provisional, guys"

Dunno why meself and IG bothered talkin to ya in Portstewart Kilted . ya seem to be able to conduct a conversation all on yer own .... next thing is the white pyjamas with leather belts on the arms and and crotch .... a spot of window licking and finally yer bona fide basket case....:D

On a golfing note, yer quite correct, some days you just get a groove where all yer junk moves in sync....wasn't it Ken Brown that came up with the phrase "Alexander Cadogan", where you said Alexander in yer head on the takeaway and Cadogan on the downswing as a means of grooving a tempo into yer swing ...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
Dunno why meself and IG bothered talkin to ya in Portstewart Kilted . ya seem to be able to conduct a conversation all on yer own .... next thing is the white pyjamas with leather belts on the arms and and crotch .... a spot of window licking and finally yer bona fide basket case....:D

Yes, come to think of it there was a lot of gibberish just out of ear shot. I was just being polite.

Dave Ireland said:
On a golfing note, yer quite correct, some days you just get a groove where all yer junk moves in sync....wasn't it Ken Brown that came up with the phrase "Alexander Cadogan", where you said Alexander in yer head on the takeaway and Cadogan on the downswing as a means of grooving a tempo into yer swing ...

I suppose you could say "Thomas Bjorn" if things weren't working on the Cadogan front. Then you would at least have an decent excuse...

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Yes, come to think of it there was a lot of gibberish just out of ear shot. I was just being polite.

I suppose you could say "Thomas Bjorn" if things weren't working on the Cadogan front. Then you would at least have an decent excuse...

LMAO....... I'd love to delve deeper inta yer concept of polite IG !!.... kick a man while he's down @ Bjorn

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
LMAO....... I'd love to delve deeper inta yer concept of polite IG !!.... kick a man while he's down @ Bjorn

Hey I was sticking up for the dude. Cast yer mind back to yesterday when you were dis'en him for being aloof and arrogant. Then when you found out he was a man on the edge, the old Ronnie O'Sullivan analogies started rollin' in...

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Hey I was sticking up for the dude. Cast yer mind back to yesterday when you were dis'en him for being aloof and arrogant. Then when you found out he was a man on the edge, the old Ronnie O'Sullivan analogies started rollin' in...

It's a woman's perogative to change her mind ... biatch ;)

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Dave Ireland said:
Dunno why meself and IG bothered talkin to ya in Portstewart Kilted ...

Oh bugger...ye were talking tae me??

Apologies, mate - I thought both of ye had some sort of throat infection...couldn't understand a word of it...

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
Oh bugger...ye were talking tae me??

Apologies, mate - I thought both of ye had some sort of throat infection...couldn't understand a word of it...

LOL...... this comin from da man who has a first class degree in da queens' english !!! It's all right for you and IG to speek proper like da queen ... youse are part of the empire, but me, I'm like our American cousins and can bastardise the language as I please :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
One thing that works for me when the irons go on vacation is to deliberately forget about what my body, arms and legs are doing and concentrate soley on keeping my head still the entire time through the backswing and into impact. It's tough, but boy does is straighten you out in a hurry.

This makes you:

a) keep a tempo
b) remain on plane or your head will move
c) keeps your swing consistent in terms of angle of attack
d) allows you to dial in for those tough shots, like out of fairway bunkers or sidehill lies. Dropping your head/shoulders here is a killer.

It seems to work for me. For the first few, I could care less how I hit them, but sooner than later they all start to fly true.

Hope this helps,

R35

🔥 Latest posts