• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I fixed something!!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Since I retired, I have been catching up on long neglected repairs. So far I have fixed a broken storm door, cleaned 3 rooms (7 more to go), 2 stereo systems, and today I fixed the sticky CD-RW doors on my desktop computer.

I didn't have any new belts, so I found a blog where somebody said you can sometimes restore the old ones by boiling them in water for a few minutes. It works!!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Since I retired, I have been catching up on long neglected repairs. So far I have fixed a broken storm door, cleaned 3 rooms (7 more to go), 2 stereo systems, and today I fixed the sticky CD-RW doors on my desktop computer.

I didn't have any new belts, so I found a blog where somebody said you can sometimes restore the old ones by boiling them in water for a few minutes. It works!!
Didn't you fix stuff for a living?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'm rubbish at fixing things. I used to go all gung ho and try and do it, only to leave a complete and unretrieveable mess. Wife always complaining. Now I don't bother as much, just pay someone to do it or get a new one. Shameful I know.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I don't mind at all doing projects that involve electrical, plumbing, mechanical, etc. Just don't ask me to do any sheetrock or painting. Last fall, I cut existing piping and installed water meters on two of our irrigation wells at the course. Just a month ago, totally removed and replaced the piping and electrical on our drinking water system at the course. Getting ready to install some louver/dampers in the main irrigation building wall.
No idea why, but a receptacle in the kitchen quit working. Went to Home Depot, this afternoon, and picked up a GFCI receptacle. Pulled the old receptacle and installed the new GFCI... without even shutting off the breaker. (That makes the wife nervous when I do electrical work live.) A couple years ago, she decided she wanted white receptacles and switches throughout the house instead of the dated ivory color. I changed all those out live and didn't get "bit" once.
Gotta keep doing and not sitting in retirement!!!!!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Installed a bathroom exhaust fan in the main bathroom in the house...no idea why they didn't put one in originally...having some severe moisture problems up there.

Shovel the 10 inches of blow in insulation out of the way, pull up the batting between the joists. Find the spot, cut the hole in the drywall, install the 2x4 supports, install the fan, run new wiring to the old switch box, cut out and install the new 3 gang box, wire up the new switch and old switches, cut hole in roof, install roof vent/damper, install the insulated pipe from fan to exhaust vent. WAY too much time spent in the attic i know that for a fact.

Also have a BUNCH of landscaping work the wife wants done...I hate landscaping work...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I can cut grass, hedges, strim, spray, scarify etc. all day long. I can also wash cars, windows etc. Its just the electrical stuff I'm rubbish at, never took to the time or had the interest to learn. I can change a spark plug, oil etc but not much more.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I can cut grass, hedges, strim, spray, scarify etc. all day long. I can also wash cars, windows etc. Its just the electrical stuff I'm rubbish at, never took to the time or had the interest to learn. I can change a spark plug, oil etc but not much more.

About the only thing I don't do on my cars is full blown engine/transmission rebuilds. I don't have the space or an engine stand at the house. We even mount/balance our own tires, which is actually pretty fun with a tire machine.

I've come around to enjoying mowing/maintaining the lawn...since I finally bought a mower I enjoy running. Now I need to buy a Stihl line trimmer and blower...because to hell with dragging an extension cord around the yard.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
About the only thing I don't do on my cars is full blown engine/transmission rebuilds. I don't have the space or an engine stand at the house. We even mount/balance our own tires, which is actually pretty fun with a tire machine.

I've come around to enjoying mowing/maintaining the lawn...since I finally bought a mower I enjoy running. Now I need to buy a Stihl line trimmer and blower...because to hell with dragging an extension cord around the yard.
I just bought a simple, little 2015 Nissan Versa thinking I could do all the work on it. Went to change the spark plugs and they were on the top of the engine where you had to remove the whole injection system to get at them. Took it to the shop and had them do it for $300.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I just bought a simple, little 2015 Nissan Versa thinking I could do all the work on it. Went to change the spark plugs and they were on the top of the engine where you had to remove the whole injection system to get at them. Took it to the shop and had them do it for $300.
It's definitely getting worse. That's why the last vehicle I bought was a 2002 Suburban. Easy to work on. However, I've been able to do pretty much everything I've needed to on my 2006 Hyundai Tiburon and 2012 Toyota Corolla.

I can buy a crate engine/transmission for the Suburban and install it myself for about $3500 and have basically a brand new truck(axles are pretty solid performers)....just gotta keep the Wisconsin winters from eating it away to nothing...

My 2012 Ducati has been the biggest pain in my ass as of late with the key situation. Their 'anti theft' situation is serious. You can't even steal your own bike.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

Seeing as you’re handy, can you explain how the A-Team could build a Sherman tank out of spare parts in a barn? Asking for a friend.

🔥 Latest posts