• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I found someone to hate in replace of Johny Miller....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ok, I'll need to bring some of this up to speed, but bear with me...

A few weeks ago, someone brought up the question about Vijay "cheating" with his bunker play at a PGA event. Basically, he hit a ball that went from one bunker to another, and in disgust, hit a few practice shots afterwards, actually taking sand with a few shots. The arguement arose that he should be penalized.....here's the link:

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715&highlight=Vijay

I basically paraphrased what Augster said in this and sent a question to the USGA to settle this one and for all. I signed off with my name, and that I was from Canada, basically what I do for any e-mail of importance.

The question went something like this (thanks Augster!):

Sunday at Doral Vijay is slowly making a move and knows he needs to score on the Par 5 10th to get back with Phil and Tiger. He goes for the green in two, ending up in the greenside bunker. His 3rd shot, he chunks into a different bunker closer to the green.

Now, granted, it initially looked like his ball was going to catch on the grass above the bunker, but if you watch, the ball clearly rolls back into the bunker AND his next shot is played from the bunker. He makes a sand save for par from the second bunker.

Here is the violation. After Vijay chunked his 3rd shot into the different bunker, he proceeded to take AT LEAST two practice swings in the previous bunker, bringing up sand both times! He was rearing back for a 3rd swing when the camera cuts away. This is in DIRECT VIOLATION of Rule 13-4a!

Rule 13-4a says you can't test the conditions of the hazard OR ANY LIKE HAZARD! If your ball is in a bunker, you can't practice your sand shot digging up sand in a different bunker. Likewise, if your ball is 1/2 in, 1/2 out of water hazard, you can't find a different nearby hazard and practice the shot.

Here's their reply:

Dear Sir,

We would like to answer your Rules of Golf inquiry, however, the USGA may interpret and answer only those Rules of Golf questions originating within the United States and its possessions. Otherwise the R&A of St. Andrews, Scotland has jurisdiction throughout the rest of the world. You may forward questions to your local golf association or the R&A at

R&A Rules Limited
Fife, Scotland KY169JD
www.randa.org

Sincerely,

Bernie Loehr
Rules of Golf Associate
USGA

What the hell is that? The fact that I live in Canada has nothing to do with the question at hand. I made a simple question about Vijay at Doral, and they tell me that they can't answer it because i'm from Canada?

I sent a nasty reply to the effect of "I am astonished and sickened by this response by the USGA. I will be sure to tell everyone I can in the golfing community about the total lack of effort made by the USGA on this task. Thanks so much for wasting my, as well as many others anxious for a reply, time. This is a black day for golf."

I'm such a dink.

Honestly, I don't care, but what the hell is that?

Johnny Miller must work for the USGA. All dinks.

R35

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
that is odd and wtf would the R&A care about it for if it was a usga sanctioned event?

write bernie back again and tell him to actually read your question this time.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Personally, I think they don't want to interpret a rule and take a chance that a Canuck may play by it in Canada. They could have handled it better, maybe by interpreting the rule and stipulating that this is for US sanctioned events. Whatever. There's enough Canuck love on the board here to make up for it. We love all of you snow bunnies. Well, maybe we hate those of you like Rock that keep an 8 or so handi by playing 2 months a year. But even there, his sheep fetish makes up for that.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
True.

But sheep or not, the dude could have answered my question.

Why not say "This rule only pertains to events sanctioned by the USGA".

How hard is that?

Wait a minute.....

Snow bunnies? What the hell is that? :D

R35

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Damn. I thought I was being nice-- getting off the moosehumers and all.

Moosehumper.

S

spankdoggie

Ha ha!

Damned ass Canadians always trying to start trouble.
aforum.e46fanatics.com_images_smilies_owned.gif

We need Bravo to come in and sort this one out.
aforum.e46fanatics.com_images_smilies_new_all_coholic.gif

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
better question is "what isn't wrong with Johnny Miller?"

as a commentator, he's a total ass and extremely annoying

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Silver said:
better question is "what isn't wrong with Johnny Miller?"

as a commentator, he's a total ass and extremely annoying

He is a unbelievable player though you got tto give him that. I still can't get over how much he loves Tiger this is annoying me so much he hates vijay he actually said not so long ago that Tiger has raw talent vijay is just temporary or something comments like that give you a bag reputation.

I would also like to say go Greame Mcdowell, I met him last year he is cool.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Just about an hour ago, Johnny was going on about how Vijay's the best in the world.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
That's cuz Tiger is sucking hind tit this weekend, and he doesn't want to eat crow.

However, he may eat BDCrowe. :p

R35

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Silver said:
Just about an hour ago, Johnny was going on about how Vijay's the best in the world.

Well that's definetly what he said I remember it crystal clear,can't remeber the excact tournament I think it may of been summer 04 during vijays rampage.

🔥 Latest posts