• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

i got a question

neill91_maui

KING COBRA
Feb 9, 2008
i hit my ball and the ball hit a tree and went out of bounds so what do i do? where do i drop the ball?
thanks.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Ball OB = You drop from where you just hit from stroke/distance.

Say that was your 2nd shot, then you drop 3 and are hitting 4 from that same spot.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Since maui is a new player, I will expand a bit:

If it went OB (white stakes), then rehit from the original spot.

If it crossed the margin of a hazard (red or yellow stakes) then you drop anywhere on a line from where it crossed the margin of the hazard back to the original spot. The tree doesn't matter at all.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Since maui is a new player, I will expand a bit:

If it went OB (white stakes), then rehit from the original spot.

If it crossed the margin of a hazard (red or yellow stakes) then you drop anywhere on a line from where it crossed the margin of the hazard back to the original spot. The tree doesn't matter at all.

Can't you play from within the hazard without a penalty, provided you can hit the ball?

jackerman

Apr 30, 2008
Yes you can hit the ball in a hazzard with out penalty. I think what Eracer was just explaning the drop situation (Simple). No reason to confuse a new golfer with the rule book. The rule for hazzards is 26 in the rule book. As for out of bounds you will always hit (or take a stroke) from the last spot your ball lay. Same as Sandpiper3 said.

Ball OB = You drop from where you just hit from stroke/distance.

Say that was your 2nd shot, then you drop 3 and are hitting 4 from that same spot.

JAckerman

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.