• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I got an mp3 player, songs?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I picked up a little mp3 player today and I want to put some interesting stuff on it besides the usual zeppelin/floyd yada,yada,yada.....

I don't generally do country music but I did put on 2 songs by Buddy Jewell, "one in a row" and "help pour out the rain" ....great songs!

What do you fellers suggest?

S

spankdoggie

Live like you were dying--- country

Down with the sickness- totally pumps you up when you work out with heavy weight... too sick for me. Downloaded it off of itunes, the clean version, then still had to delete the last 1:05 minutes of it.... I am moving on from that song.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I have a feeling the people that have posted so far, as well as myself, have greatly different musical tastes than you do, so a lot of us may not be much help.

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Silver said:
I have a feeling the people that have posted so far, as well as myself, have greatly different musical tastes than you do, so a lot of us may not be much help.

Well this non answer is certainly no help. ;)

The differing tatses is obvious, it goes without saying. I am, however, a blank slate. I never figured I'd like any country music until just a few weeks ago.

I might even like some of the crap you listen to...hehehe.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
No, you're right, the non-answer was of no help.

Well, here a few of my current favourites:

acoustic:
Damien Rice - Delicate, The Blower's Daughter (from Closer), The Professor and La Fille Danse

Ray Lamontagne - almost anything from Trouble

Joseph Arthur - you may recognize Honey and the Moon, but A Smile that Explodes is even better

Dashboard Confessional (although their best work is on their most recent album: A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar which is much less acoustic) - BEST song is Hands Down (it's one of my favs) and other great songs are As Lovers Go (also on Shrek 2) and Carve Your Heart Out Yourself (not as depressing as it sounds) but the most touching work is Screaming Infidelities and This Bitter Pill is kinda good for a laugh because it's SO emotional

I've also been listening to a lot of Cafe Del Mar chillout kinda stuff lately, but I just recently threw my old Offspring collection into the car stereo...man those dudes can rock it out.

Those are just a few ideas...I have more...I have over 21,000 mp3s... I can probably give you some sort of idea as to what to search out

longiron

May 2, 2005
I listen to just about everything from blues to hardcore.
Cant go wrong with Stevi Ray, Buddy Guy, or Muddy Waters.
Wife has me listening to this Rob Thomas guy.
And if you cant get pumped to Slayer, Hatebreed, Lamb of God you aint alive.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I have 68 mb of music...over 16,000 songs. Virtually every meaningful album of the 60's and 70's. A good bit of traditional jazz and blues...This is on a USB drive on my desk.

I ran ethernet cable to my bedroom and den and used those Hauppuage media manager "decoder" widgets to connect to my stereo systems there.

I can display each song and album title and play any of it from there. All the CD's are in a closet. I don't handle them anymore.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
sorry sling dont know much about country.im mostly an 80`s rock and up guy.i listen to everything from april wine to slipknot.i have a collection of about 800 cds that range from glam rock,christian rock,southern rock,hard rock and hevey metal.if your lookin for somethin like that then i could give you a few suggestions.but otherwise i wont be much help.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
I can't believe I'm going to do this, but a friend has been trying to convince me that I should listen to James McMurtry. (McMurtry's actually not bad, but I'd never tell my friend that. Drives him crazy to think I disagree.) Sounds like you're looking for something esoteric, and I think he qualifies.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I don't listen to much of the newer stuff. I would but the DJs on that station drive me crazy.

My favorite rock oldie is Mississippi Queen by Mountain.

Jim Croce has lots of good stuff and if you're trying to like country a good compromise is Jimmie Buffet. Also country but good is Robert Earl Kean - The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Of the newer but not new, I like Edwin McCain and some of the Wall Flowers stuff, particularly We can be heros.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Sling

I don't profess to be a country junkie, but this lot should give you an insight into the peripheries of that country thang:

Dwight Yoakam - "It don't hurt when I fall down from that bar stool"
Cowboy Junkies
Lambchop

and of course the untouchable Gram Parsons. Grevious Angel LP is sublime. "$1,000 Dollar Wedding" is just about the saddest song I have ever heard. Great when you are feeling melancholic and have a bottle of whiskey to hand. ;)

🔥 Latest posts