• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I got two questions...

Redneck Golfer

Jul 16, 2009
Ok boys. Not trying to ballhog the forum today, but I'm curious about two things that have nothing to do with each other...

1. What do golfers REALLY score on the course? I shoot average 110 ish. Best game was a 101, second was 102. But what do you guys REALLY shoot?

2. I've played my local public course. Sometimes when I play, the greens are horrible. They aerate and spread sand. They don't brush it in or anything. I understand why, but they don't cut a break on the price. These greens are not puttable. They suck in these conditions! I feel that I should not pay full price for greens that I can't put on, but I don't know how to approach the situation and you don't know till you get to the first green. The rest of the course is in really good condition for a public course. What do I do?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
1. I shoot right around 100 on average difficulty courses, sometimes more, sometimes less. On easy little muni's that i have played tons, i can score low 90's and i have had consecutive 9's on separate days that would have scored me in the mid 80's on those easy courses.

2. It costs money to keep a course in good shape. Long term good shape means short term crappy play...no way around it.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Ok boys. Not trying to ballhog the forum today, but I'm curious about two things that have nothing to do with each other...

1. What do golfers REALLY score on the course? I shoot average 110 ish. Best game was a 101, second was 102. But what do you guys REALLY shoot?

2. I've played my local public course. Sometimes when I play, the greens are horrible. They aerate and spread sand. They don't brush it in or anything. I understand why, but they don't cut a break on the price. These greens are not puttable. They suck in these conditions! I feel that I should not pay full price for greens that I can't put on, but I don't know how to approach the situation and you don't know till you get to the first green. The rest of the course is in really good condition for a public course. What do I do?

1. Update Report - That's what I really shoot. What good is a score if it doesn't represent what you did?

2. Not anything you really can do about it. I feel your pain on putting on greens that have been aerated... but it has to be done. We don't get a discount on our membership for the 2 times a year they do it. If it bothers you that much I suppose you could just ask in the proshop how the greens are before you pay. Could try to get a discount but I wouldn't count on it.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008

don't they do this at about the same time every year? its a pattern, and can be avoided.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I shoot mid to high 80's most of the time. On a bad day I'll hit the mid 90's, but on a good day I can dip down into the low 80's. These are legit scores, I take all my penalty strokes and don't do mulligens. I may hit a 2nd ball after a bad shot, but still score the poor one.

As far as course conditions, I feel your pain. But like the others have said, most of the time they do it at about the same time every year. At my home course they post a sign warning the course will be closed for maintenance on a certain day, we all know what they are going to be doing, and go play other courses for a few days till the greens come back around.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I shoot around mid 80's, low 90's. Hell, I flirt with 100 when it's all downhill for the day.

As far as conditions go when they top dress and aerate the greens. Usually it's twice a year, some do it more, and do small tines during portions of the year. Generally they let you know before it's time. My course has a calender of member/guest events and dates and do the maintenance scheduel and it's on the carts at the top of the roof.

They also offer a discount for like a 2-3 day period when they do it. Generally it's a Monday or Tuesday they do it, and by the weekend it's not bad. They do a good job of small punches, and really roll and brush the sand on them well.

Just find the schedule, usually they have a flyer or sign posted when they plan to do it. Find another place that isn't doing it.

I get used to it, I skip that week, or go somewhere else. I'll even suck it up and play it, and just know you have to muscle the ball in and don't let it trickle to the holes.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
1. Anywhere from low-90s to ~110, but normally mid-90s. Honest score including penalty strokes and no do-overs. I've never been paired with anyone that shot better than mid-90s, but I've been with a boatload of folks who wrote down scores lower than that. I know there are tons of people that score well, I've just had the misfortune of normally pairing up with folks that aren't very good at anything but forgiving their own misses. No big deal as long as they aren't bragging about their score in relation to mine - that irks me a bit.

2. My course tells you if the greens are jacked when you call for your tee time (or before you pay if you just walk in.) Can't see why they wouldn't at least do that just to be honest with you.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
All depends on the course, length of the course & how often I have played it. My home course is 9 holes measuring out at 2900 yds & par is 36. My typical score there is 39-43 with my low scores being a 36 & 37.

Other courses I can shoot anywhere from 81 to 102. Some days the game is on & other days it flat out sucks. Played yesterday with my wife & 2 others at Rock River hills, played the whites which are just under 6,100 yds & par is 70. Had a 41 front & 40 back but my driver & approach shots were really on, putting was horrible with numerous 3 putts.

As far as aerated greens go, there aren't many options & i'm sure this one is going to get frowned on by the rule nazi's. I will play aerated greens & I watch the putts as the roll, if they are jumping around like a mexican jumping bean & bouncing offline with no chance of ever getting a fair shot, then I take a maximum of 2 putts & call it a day.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
aerated greens suck.....we just try to ask when we get to that point in the year and avoid them if we can.

I shoot low 80's fairly normal.......shot 83 on friday after not playing for 4 weeks.

Jason

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Why not just use a knife????:thumbs up:

Can't.. they turned them in one day at the amnesty drop off box..

Wi, We've done that before.. If the putt looked to go in, and jumped off because of the aerated greens, as long as it stop within half a regular putter grip, we give it to each other. But it's gotta be close if it's bumping around.

Generally the days the greens are jacked with sand, we use those to practice more so than keep a legit score however.

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
1. I don't mind taking a mulligan once per round, but only if other players in my group are also doing it. I don't mind re-teeing a shot, but I don't like giving putts. I always like to putt out, even if it means I'll 4 putt, which I've done so many times.... I don't really care about my score, so I'll always put down what I actually scored, but I hate the feeling of walking off the tee box after a bad shot. Something I have to get over, I know.

I play in the high 80's. If you took away my 1 mulligan. Let's say 2 or 3 more strokes on top of that.

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
mid to upper 80s but could be under 80 if I don't loose focus and give up later in the round.

🔥 Latest posts