• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I hated it...

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
BD:

I don't have an answer for your question yet. I wish I had one and want to have one...

My experience so far has been mostly listening to the tones in the car before hitting on the range. Then I got the Mp3 player and have hit balls twice while listening.

The thing that is so utterly tantalizing about it is what happens when you hit the tones perfectly. A pure, flush straight shot. This is what keeps me trying to learn this system.

A couple of weeks ago, I was trying to "recall" the tones while playing and frankly it screwed me up. For this reason, I don't know if recalling the tones is realistic or worthwhile. I guess only the author can answer this.

During the last couple of rounds, I have ignored the tones but have tried to replicate the feeling I had during my practice sessions and this is getting some results. My mid-short irons are much better while my driver is as inconsistent as ever. I am happy to hit 50 % of the fairways with my driver and score pretty well when I do...I still have that snaphook sometimes.

I am going to stay with it because of what I have seen on the range when I get it right.

It's not a magic wand though.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
B,

Did you watch the Quicktime stuff that came with the book? In it, he shows you how to set up a preshot routine in time with the tones.

For me, that routine is a bit quick. So, I take about one more "cycle". I usually nod my head in time with the music, just to get the pacing correct. During the swing, I don't think of the tones at all. By the time you are ready to be consistent with it, the actual "swing, set, through" should be internal, I think.

As I have said before, I messed up myself with this all last summer. I finally canned it and restarted with it this winter. It started with a re-read and re-watching the videos. Now, I do a TON of the "L" drill without a ball in time with the tones.

The only thing I noticed I was doing "wrong" last spring was that I was "anticipating" the tone. This winter, I have worked on "reacting" to the tone. I just didn't get the reason why he moved the first and second tone back ~~5ms and not the 3rd tone. When I'd do my swing on video, to the 21/7, it would come out closer to 24/8 and nowhere NEAR consistent. This was because I was anticipating the tones.

Since the re-read, the swing is much smoother and consistent. I can't wait for it to be decent enough to go outside and re-record myself. I've gone to just "reacting" to the first two tones. You KNOW they are coming, the beat tells you so. A lot of the time I would "jump the gun" on the first tone, and trying to time the next two are a disaster in that case. Now, I clear my mind, no swing thoughts etc., and focus on my right ear, at least while I'm practicing. That way, when I actually HEAR the first tone, I take the club back, then I HEAR the second tone, and I start the downswing HOPING to strike ground at the same time as the 3rd tone.

The club should still be going back when you hear that 2nd tone. The club should be stationary when you hear the first tone.

Internalize the "song", and nod your head to the beat (in between tone cycles) and the tones. Do this for a few cycles. Then turn the volume off, while you are still "nodding" for a bit, then bring the volume back up to see if you are still in time with the music. Do this until you are still "on time" for say 2 seconds, then 5, then 10 etc. That's internalizing it.

Think about when, say, your favorite song comes on the radio or on your CD. You can sing right along with it, turn the volume down, and keep singing, then bring the volume back up at random times. Odds are you'll still be in time with it. That's because it's been "internalized". You will know before you turn the volume back up whether you are ahead of the song or behind it just because it "feels different". That's the power of music.

If you can do that with the tones tracks, it'll make swinging to them a lot easier.

I hope that helps a bit. Time to break out the club for a few L drills.:)

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Wow...thanks for all of the thoughts. You gave me much to consider and work with.

I will give your ideas a go and let you know how it works out. I am not certain when I can work on this but when I do - I will let you know.

It makes too much sense...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.