• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I have waaay too my clubs

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I have waaay too many clubs--maybe

Had some time to kill while i set the irrigation fertilizer rates on a pea field 20 miles from my shop. 1 hour to be exact.

So my local course has 4 holes that start and finish at the club house. I popped on while waiting for a system to calibrate. In my work pick-up truck I had the following equipment.

9* Renegade driver
Old "real wood" Wilson Johnny Miller Gold driver I bought in 1980
Callaway X-14 8 iron.
one Maxfli Noodle golf ball
one top flite something ball

So off I went.

1st hole is 390 yard dogleg left. Good drive. 8 iron 5 yards short of green. Chip to 15 feet. One putt with that wooden driver for a BIRDIE.
edit---strike the chip, 8 iron was 15 feet right pin high.

2nd hole 510 yard par 5. Drive of 260. Tried the old Wilson Driver too and was straight on line with the Renegade but 58 yards short. Second shot off the deck with the Wilson driver. Third shot a knock- down 8 iron from 75 yards within 20 feet. Two putt (driver) for a par.

3rd hole 170 yard par 3. As I was about to hit my tee shot I hear a cart coming up from behind. But NO!!! It's an elderly lady in one of the electrical carts for the elderly. She zips in front of the tee box, drives to the green and then heads to the club house, oblivious to the fact she almost go smacked with a golf ball. STRANGE. Anywho I'm 10 yards short of green with 8 iron. Chip to 8 feet. One putt again for par. Still one under!

4th hole a uphill par 4 410 yards. Drive on right center. 8 iron 2 yards short of fringe. Chip to 5 feet. Putt (wood driver again) and finish 1 under and I go back to work wondering why I ho so many clubs.

Granted this is not a real challenging course which I have memorized every nook and cranny. But......

The Wilson driver worked surprising well as a putter. A bit mushy feel. All the balls rolled well and line up was real easy. Putted with the normal lie of the club just choked down so the ball was WELL out of my eye line.

Do I dare use this combo and the Wilson driver-putter for real??? Was it just a "honeymoon outing" or what?????:beach3:

Will the Golf equipment companies suppress this story???

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
#1 was a 390 yard par 5?

Otherwise, yeah, the clubs don't matter nearly as much as how you hit them.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Will the Golf equipment companies suppress this story???

I'd be more worried about the mods kicking you off the board and/or WBL showing up at your house 1 day and giving you a swift kick in the junk.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
#1 was a 390 yard par 5?

Otherwise, yeah, the clubs don't matter nearly as much as how you hit them.

Thats what I was thinking as well. Must be 490 or a miss calculation on the score.

Dave will be hoing a wilson wooden headed driver to solve his putting woes after readig this thread. :killersmiley:

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Sorry guys 390 yards. Strike the chip. That 8 iron was on green. Pin high right of hole with perhaps 4 inch right to left break. Thanks for catching that!!!!!

Again this is easy course 117 slope. Just surprised on the putting. To be honest I do not think the putting would be that good for faster greens. Guessing the speed to be at maybe 7. I doubt if the greens were 9 or greater the distance control would not be any where near doable.

BTW this ties my "best" I've scored on these 4 holes WITH A FULL SET OF CLUBS. Maybe the shot making was easier because my expectations were much lower.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.