• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I just bought a smoker...

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
I am moving up now, to real barbecue. I am excited! It is the weber smoky mountain...

aassets0.grillstuff.com_images_P_2820_1_lg.jpg

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Can't go wrong with Webber.

When you use it, make sure you plan ahead and soak wood chips or chunks for a really long time if that is what it calls for. Because mine has the side carriage, I use chunks I usually soak them overnight and would recommend them for smoking over chips if the wood goes on the fuel source. However I have never used one were the heat is under the food and if memory serves me there is a tray. In which case I would imagine that chips may provide more surface area for the smoke. Also in which case, it may not be as important to soak them as long if they are sitting in water.

Just mentioning it so you don't get ready to use it the first time, and forget to soak the chips if needed. Also don't be alarmed when the outide of the meat (or all the way through in many cases) has a pink texture, that is the smoke and a sign that it is done well. Usually the very inside is white. on pork or Poultry, however if you do it for a really long time it may be pink all the way through.

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
So I know all of you have been waiting with baited breath for me to explain why I bought this particular smoker in question.

Well, first was the size; in San Francisco, we do not have big backyards. A typical $1,000,000 home in San Francisco is a 25 x 100 foot lot, that includes the backyard.

But I digress.

So I checked the amazon reviews, and I couldn't believe all of the positive reviews; the negative reviews were basically "broken during shipment," etc. So here are the reviews I see: http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Check out those positives!

So as I am reading the reviews, I learn that there is a HUGE website/forum devoted to owners of the Weber Smoky Mountain, with tons of recipes, tricks, modifications (such as a larger water pan, and where to buy it, which thermometer to purchase and install, etc.)

This is the huge website/forum: http://virtualweberbullet.com/

If you click on "discussion forums" you enter a dream world of barbecue magic.

So my smoker shows up on Tuesday, and I have a lot to learn. Last year you guys recommended the sideways barrel one, and I really wanted it, but space required this one, but this smoker has also won national barbecue contests... I will be asking most of my questions at the forum above, however; these dudes LOVE smoking, like we do.

spank

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
If possible, could a moderator please merge this thread with the 2008 barbecue thread?

If you can, cool. If you can't, no worries.

spank

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Ok Spank, here's the deal.

Get some pork ribs, rub 'em up with Chili powder, dry mustard, paprika, ground comino and whatever else blows your skirt up.

Wrap 'em in plastic & refigerate for a day or so.

Fire up your smoker (include some wood chips & some water) & hang them in it for 3-4 hours.

Another 2-3 hours in a low heat (250) oven.

Drink beer, eat ribs. So good, makes you wannna to slap yo' mama.

:prop:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.