• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

i keep breaking my shafts

Jeff Tsang

May 29, 2014
Country
Canada Canada
Hi guys, I'm not sure why for the past 6 months I have went through 3 broken shafts when I go to the driving range in the past 6 months.

It seems to happen with my driver. I would say 75% of the time I hit the ball nice and straight. I was told I had good form. I don't drive very far I hit about 250.

Where it brakes always seem to be where the shaft connect to the driver. Any ideas or suggestion on what I might be doing? it starting to be very costly with broken shafts all the time.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
You are steep on your downswing. Not an uncommon thing for beginners. The driver is the only club that we swing up on, and it is tbe longest club, so most easy to strike earth with a down swing, which is the swing for irons. You will need to begin to try to understand that the line from the ball to the target is not the line the head of the clubs must follow, except in the few inches of the impact area. In fact, it is most incorrect to swing this way and definitely reduces power. The secret is in the grip, how the club is held so the swing is most free, and the alignment of that free swing to the path the ball will take in the air. It is the simpliest thing for you to seek a lesson from a pga certified instructor at this stage. The changes will take a few months to learn. Feel free to inquire along the way as most lessons present other questions as you become more experienced.

OP
Jeff Tsang

Jeff Tsang

May 29, 2014
Country
Canada Canada
@TEA Time i actually have two drivers big bertha, and a cobra both running in to the same issue. I have even broke a friends driver ones or twice ;S.

@eclark53520 i have broke a few shafts, I have broke a few shafts. im not sure what brand the last few times i just asked my brother to go golf store and replace something cause i have been to lazy to go.

@ TrickyPutter thanks for the advice. I don't think I can seek a pga trainer right now. but a youtube video would be great it can help.

Thanks!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You keep talking about being a "novice" player and even, in another thread, suggest you are purchasing golf balls for the very first time. To have broken that many shafts, you have to be doing something wrong. You're either hitting down on the ball, as Tricky suggests, or you are hitting "hosel rockets". A ball hit on the hosel of a driver can snap the shaft right where it enters the hosel. You are swinging as hard as you can and extending the arms, which moves the club to the outside. That movement sees the ball hit right on the hosel and "SNAP"!!

OP
Jeff Tsang

Jeff Tsang

May 29, 2014
Country
Canada Canada
You keep talking about being a "novice" player and even, in another thread, suggest you are purchasing golf balls for the very first time. To have broken that many shafts, you have to be doing something wrong. You're either hitting down on the ball, as Tricky suggests, or you are hitting "hosel rockets". A ball hit on the hosel of a driver can snap the shaft right where it enters the hosel. You are swinging as hard as you can and extending the arms, which moves the club to the outside. That movement sees the ball hit right on the hosel and "SNAP"!!

thanks for the tip. i think your 100% correct. seems everytime it has snapped on me it cause i lose focus on the ball. so it breaks at the exact spot where the shaft connects to the hosel rocket. maybe i should stand a bit further back? or try not extending my arms?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
thanks for the tip. i think your 100% correct. seems everytime it has snapped on me it cause i lose focus on the ball. so it breaks at the exact spot where the shaft connects to the hosel rocket. maybe i should stand a bit further back? or try not extending my arms?
Or try swinging at 1/2 to 3/4 speed. Beginners seem to thing they have to swing hard. They've played too much baseball or they've seen the pros hit the ball 300 yards. Go find a copy of Julius Boros book, "Swing Easy, Hit Hard". The ball will go much further making contact in the center of the clubface... at 1/2 speed... than hit off the hosel swinging like a caged hippo. There's also the old 3:9 drill. Go back to 3 o'clock and only swing through to 9 o'clock until you make perfect contact each time. Once you can find the middle of the clubface every time, stretch it to 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock. Never swing harder than you can while maintaining balance and hitting center clubface.

Members online

No members online now.