• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I keep missing my putts right

ash

Jul 25, 2012
I think most of your problem is your expectations, so it is mostly a mental issue. Also, there is a huge difference between a 3-foot and a 6-foot putt. Do you know most 10-14 handicap players only make 50% of their putts from 6 feet? And that pros only make 75%? We have a tendency to think they make them all, but they don't. So you need to go easier on yourself. You, on average, will only make 2 of the 4 6-foot putts you see each round. And if all 4 6-footers have considerable break, only making 1 of 4 is a reasonable outcome and therefore should be your expectation. Better than that is a bonus. What I am saying is you shouldn't lump a 5-6 foot putt in with the 3-footers. They are not "little putts." And manage your expectations in a realistic manner so it doesn't make things worse.

Yes, as you get closer to the cup those percentages should increase of course. But you should never think you should make them all or it will be self-defeating. We know even the pros miss 3-footers. ALLOW ourself to miss 1 or 2 3-footers per round. Then, my guess is you will limit yourself to that and won't be missing 3-4 real short ones per round and "driving yourself crazy."

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I think most of your problem is your expectations, so it is mostly a mental issue. Also, there is a huge difference between a 3-foot and a 6-foot putt. Do you know most 10-14 handicap players only make 50% of their putts from 6 feet? And that pros only make 75%? We have a tendency to think they make them all, but they don't. So you need to go easier on yourself. You, on average, will only make 2 of the 4 6-foot putts you see each round. And if all 4 6-footers have considerable break, only making 1 of 4 is a reasonable outcome and therefore should be your expectation. Better than that is a bonus. What I am saying is you shouldn't lump a 5-6 foot putt in with the 3-footers. They are not "little putts." And manage your expectations in a realistic manner so it doesn't make things worse.

Yes, as you get closer to the cup those percentages should increase of course. But you should never think you should make them all or it will be self-defeating. We know even the pros miss 3-footers. ALLOW ourself to miss 1 or 2 3-footers per round. Then, my guess is you will limit yourself to that and won't be missing 3-4 real short ones per round and "driving yourself crazy."

Thread is 5 years old. WTF.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
So it took him a little longer to figure out what he wanted to say.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
That brings up an intersting question... What are "discussion board" years compared to chronological years? It's gotta be worse than "dog years", 7:1. Advances in technology... Posters dropping away from the game and taking up checkers/shuffleboard... Players actually finding a cure to a specific problem by bending the offending club around a hedge post... Things change rapidly in the world of discussion boards. "... 5 years old..."? Closer to 25....

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
That brings up an intersting question... What are "discussion board" years compared to chronological years? It's gotta be worse than "dog years", 7:1. Advances in technology... Posters dropping away from the game and taking up checkers/shuffleboard... Players actually finding a cure to a specific problem by bending the offending club around a hedge post... Things change rapidly in the world of discussion boards. "... 5 years old..."? Closer to 25....

Indeed. Some of these members have left us in more ways than one.

stllefty

Dec 30, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
Country
The dominant eye is very true , I myself overcome this on putts by picking a spot right in front of the ball on the line, ball mark ,spike mark ect. . It can be a 60 footer or a 2 footer. Its easier to hit the ball 6-8 inches than 15 feet. Then its all about speed/ and apex of the break.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.