• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I like my new approach wedge

Rick R

Old school curmudgeon
Mar 18, 2014
Evans City, Pennsylvania
Country
United States United States
I bought a brand new Taylormade approach wedge this year from someone who bought a new set of irons and didn't want the wedge. I paid $20 for it and was anxious to try it out. I already had a PW and a 60deg wedge and I wasn't sure where the new one would fit in. I've used it for distances under 100yds and I like the way it works. My other clubs are graphite shafts (bubble shafts) and this one is, of course steel shafted. So far I'm happy with it and hoping it will help to cut off a few strokes.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
That's what the "A" stands for? I didn't know that. Seriously, I didn't. I've always called them gap wedges, but have seen some with an A on it.

Anyhow, I love my gap wedge. I couldn't imagine playing without it. Nice score, Rick!

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
That's what the "A" stands for? I didn't know that. Seriously, I didn't. I've always called them gap wedges, but have seen some with an A on it.

Anyhow, I love my gap wedge. I couldn't imagine playing without it. Nice score, Rick!
The gap wedge in my Cleveland CG2 set has a D on it.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
They call it a dual wedge, cross between a pitch and sand wedge. Here is some interesting reading.

Gap wedge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have hit so many heel ground wedges I know I should find them normal but I dont. I dont mind a toe grind, but on a ball low lie, the heel grind doesnt really work for me the way I think it should. I think I get a more accurate setup with a heel, and ultimately that effects my overall accuracy more than a round bottom. Heel/toe grinds let me get too much over or away, because there is no metal to touch the ground and give me feedback .

The clubhead that isnt there...I should write a book.

🔥 Latest posts