• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I like the new look

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Haven't been around here for a while, and have only been able to golf 3 or 4 times since November. The last time I got to play I did finish up with 6 nice holes: par-par-par-birdie-bogey-birdie. But haven't gotten to play since then due to weather constraints and also having begun to do some running to help improve my cardiovascular fitness.

I like the new board look, much snazzier and nicer, I think.

I did get some bad news this morning. Back on the 21st of December while doing a running workout, I had to stop because of some twinging down in the ankle area. Rest, ice, compression and elevation and I was walking almost normally again by Christmas day, but then maybe Wednesday or Thursday last week it began hurting again and swelling up. Went back to RICE, but it wasn't improving so I saw my primary physician on Tuesday. We thought to continue seeing if RICE would help, and he prescribed me to take larger amounts of ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling.

In case those didn't work by next week, he put in insurance referrals to get x-rays and an ortho office. So I wake up this morning, and it's hurting worse than ever before. What had been mild pain was now bad enough that at times I couldn't put any weight on the left foot. So I decided to cash in early on the referrals, and get the ankle x-rayed.

X-rays were done, then I waited while they contacted my primary's office. After about 40 minutes, a staff person advised me that my primary said, "Go to the ortho, and take the x-rays with you."

So off to the ortho's office, I tell the receptionist what's going on, I'm asked to call my primary's office to get the exact referral diagnosis, so I use the courtesy phone. During that, the receptionist says, "Here let me take the x-rays back to one of our doctors so he can glance at them."

I'm chatting with office staff at the primary office when suddenly a wheelchair is pushed up to me, and a nurse says, "Get off that leg, now!"

Well they diagnosis code became obvious then. Fracture. As in a fractured tibia. I'll be in a cast for 6 weeks.

How y'all doing?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well I'll be a son of gun, welcome back!! I just put a thread up about Hogan's 5 lessons and joked about where you were... glad to hear you are OK, for the most part...

I snapped my tibia in half just above my ankle playing basketball... been exactly 4yrs. ago now, I did it 2 days after Christmas. Anyway, I had to have an operation and 2 plates and 6 screws put in. It was a splayed mess in there, looked like broken bamboo. I couldn't walk again till May and it took a few more months till I could just about fully use it again. I still get some pain and stiffness now and then, always will have a more limited range of motion. Hope yours heals up quick and fully.

Great to hear from you... Stick around now.

Jun 24, 2006
Wow, that's rough. Sorry to hear that. With the nurses reaction and the wheelchair my first thought would have been 'omg..there going to have to amputate!':)

6 weeks will fly by, and you'll be ready for the course, or shoveling snow.

OP

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
I saw your 5 Lessons thread in Hacker's, Ezra. I'm glad you're liking it, and from what I remember with videos of your swing, I think it'll help you in time simplify some elements, and make your ballstriking more consistent.

I'm lucky enough I didn't need surgery or anything with the break. I go back again next week to have followup x-rays and see that it is beginning to heal and is in the proper position. I really look forward to getting back on my feet again, doing some golfing, and running too. I hope to be able to run a half-marathon at the Philadelphia distance run in September. That'll be very cool.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Thanks. Mine took a long time to heal. The most important part, after getting out the cast, was to keep stretching out my achilles. I used to use a stair and just strectch as far is it could go and do a few calf raises. In the beginning it would tighten up and as I stretched it would crack, like absurdly loud. It sounded like a broomstick snapping and scared the heck out of me the 1st time. Felt sooo good though.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Welcome Back!!! Sorry to hear about the ankle. I guess if there is ever a bright side, and it is going to happen, at least you have the winter to recover.

OP

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Thanks. Mine took a long time to heal. The most important part, after getting out the cast, was to keep stretching out my achilles. I used to use a stair and just strectch as far is it could go and do a few calf raises. In the beginning it would tighten up and as I stretched it would crack, like absurdly loud. It sounded like a broomstick snapping and scared the heck out of me the 1st time. Felt sooo good though.
Yeah, I plan on talking to the ortho about physical therapy for after getting the cast removed. I'm going to want to do some work to get the muscles and everything limbered up properly before I even start to think about running again.

6 weeks, that'll be about a week before my birthday. That'll be a nice present, get to walking around again.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Sorry to hear that RBB , but glad that your back Buddy, hope you heal fast.

🔥 Latest posts