• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I need a Wedge Set

Esc

Jul 9, 2006
Somehow when I bought my beginner's club set years ago (that I am still using), I only got one wedge, a Pitching Wedge. This is obviously a bad way to head out to the course. I would like at least three wedges, and I am not really concerned whether I buy a new PW or keep my old one. But I do need a Sand Wedge and maybe a Lob Wedge or something.

My question is about Ebay. There are so many different wedge sets with different brandnames and different prices. I mean they are going from 3 wedges for $25 to 3 wedges for $250. I obviously do not want to buy something poorly constructed, but I also am not looking to buy anything top of the line since I am still a beginner.

Do you guys have any opinions on which wedge set (brand names, prices?) would be good for a beginner who wants something quality but not TOP-NOTCH? Here is a quick link to what is on ebay right now.

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...os=ZIP/Postal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

What are some examples of good overall deals on there? Or any other tips on buying a decent wedge set? Thanks!

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Honestly I think RAMs are pretty well constructed and I know Adams are if you can try and shoot for a set of Adams wedges.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I personally carry a PW, 52* GW, 56* SW, and 60* LW. If you go with 3 I would highly recommend the GW over a LW. The GW is by far my most used club in my bag next to my putter and my primary wedge for chipping. As far as quality, I carry Ping and Ping Tour makes a great wedge. Cleveland and Titleist have always been considered the top wedges. Although, with cost in mind I would look at some of the older model Cleveland wedges. Personally the 588 Gunmetal was my second choice even over the new models, and could probably be found at a reasonable cost.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Davebud said:
Cleveland 588's.

I second this. In either Gunmetal or RTG. So sweet. And relatively cheap too.

If you can, try the Mizuno series. Best feeling wedges out there, IMO.

Another one to look for is KZG forged. Great feeling wedges.

R35

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I play the PW for sand and all chipping unless I'm under a tree. I know exactly what it does. Then I can carry two drivers like Phil!!! (LOL)

I like it simple.

OP
E

Esc

Jul 9, 2006
How much should I look to spend on three 588 wedges? $200? Less? I know it depends on the deal, but I am sure there is a range.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Cleveland 900s,used by a better class of player than the 588

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Esc said:
How much should I look to spend on three 588 wedges? $200? Less? I know it depends on the deal, but I am sure there is a range.

I have a 49*, 53*, and 58*, total spent was $78. Just have to be prudent and find the right deals. Got one on Ebay, one on another forum, and the other off craigslist.com.

SilkySm00thSwing

Jul 7, 2006
I would go with the Cleveland 588s or the 900s if you can find them. I personally carry a PW, 52* and 60*. I personally dont find the need for a 56* un less i need about a 100 to 110 shot. A 60 is great for the sand and a 52 is good for pitch shots that you are still able to control nicely with a little roll. GO cleveland for sure

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I've had just about every loft in every finish from Cleveland over the years. Personally, I find the 900 series hard and lifeless. The 588's are more the "forged" feel that good players want. To each their own, I guess.

R35

PS....Mizuno MP series....I'm tellin' ya...:)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I agree,I have the MP as a 53 and a 900 as my 58,the 900 was made for real men:)

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Adams tom watson wedges....save yourself some money, and get some lessons on how to use them.

OP
E

Esc

Jul 9, 2006
Well the Mizunos and Clevelands were going at about $45 + Shipping = $60 per club. Didn't feel like spending that much for used ebay clubs. Instead I opted for the Adams Tom Watson wedges (thanks youngun), which seem to have gotten pretty good reviews. Plus I got them new for a total of $70, for three clubs. Can't wait to work on my short game!

Thanks again guys! When I am good and looking to upgrade, I will use your advice to buy something really nice.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online