• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I need driver/shaft advice and help please

bfrank3502

Rookie Golfer
Dec 7, 2008
I currently use a Cobra 460cc Fspeed driver 10.5 degrees loft with 55g Reg. flex shaft 43.75 inches long. I have been using this driver for a few years now and I guess most people would say that is not a problem but here is my story. My swing speed is approx. 100-105. I hit the ball straight to a slight draw consistently and carry the ball approx. 220yards and once it hits the fairway it dead stops with no roll at all. I have tried changing my swing because everybody has told me that I swing to steep and lots of spin. changing my swing screws me up badly with control and fairways hit. I was wondering if less loft, different shaft, etc... would help me with my high spin rate and get me roll? I hit it plenty high enough for sure.. I would go get fitted but no really good pro shops where I live except Dicks sporting goods and they just want to sell and not really help my problem.. thanks in advance for any help on trying different shafts or different driver head completely.. I have tried my buddies G10 driver 10.5 degrees with stiff UST Pro shaft and same thing no different in distance and same no roll.. Please help

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
You could look for a lower launching, lower spin shaft and see if that works, but it could be expensive to test out.

Other than that, my suggestion is getting a lesson and working on a shallower swing plane.

OP
bfrank3502

bfrank3502

Rookie Golfer
Dec 7, 2008
Do you have any names for the lower launching, lower spinning shafts, do I need to look for certain kick point and torque?

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Look for the matrix ozik HD series.. low spin, low/mid launch.

Look for lower spinning shafts just all around. Lower spin with a stiffer tip section will bring your flight down dramatically sometimes..

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If you want a cheaper solution than a Matrix, try a Grafalloy Prolaunch Red. I had a HiBore XL in 10.5º that was ballooning on me. The Prolaunch Red dropped the ball flight considerably.

sevelingard

Nov 27, 2009
I currently use a Cobra 460cc Fspeed driver 10.5 degrees loft with 55g Reg. flex shaft 43.75 inches long. I have been using this driver for a few years now and I guess most people would say that is not a problem but here is my story. My swing speed is approx. 100-105. I hit the ball straight to a slight draw consistently and carry the ball approx. 220yards and once it hits the fairway it dead stops with no roll at all. I have tried changing my swing because everybody has told me that I swing to steep and lots of spin. changing my swing screws me up badly with control and fairways hit. I was wondering if less loft, different shaft, etc... would help me with my high spin rate and get me roll? I hit it plenty high enough for sure.. I would go get fitted but no really good pro shops where I live except Dicks sporting goods and they just want to sell and not really help my problem.. thanks in advance for any help on trying different shafts or different driver head completely.. I have tried my buddies G10 driver 10.5 degrees with stiff UST Pro shaft and same thing no different in distance and same no roll.. Please help

I would definitely advise you to go with a stiff shaft, swinging at 100-105 you need a stiff shaft, also 10.5 is probably to high a loft. If you want to build something inexpensive i would got to pro series and take a look they offer loads of copy heads which are pretty good and relatively cheap at around 50 bucks. As for a shaft that's good value take a look at the golf works website and Arthur Extreme, i have two in my clubs and for 60 bucks a piece they are very good. When you get the shaft cut an inch of the tip this will stiffen it up and not cause the head to flick up through impact reducing your spin. As for shaft weight 65 grams may also help, 55 is very light and will allow you to swing it fast but that R shaft is just creating way to much spin. Let me know if you have any other questions.cheers

OP
bfrank3502

bfrank3502

Rookie Golfer
Dec 7, 2008
Ok here is what I am going to try and have already ordered from everyone's help here. I ordered a brand new TourPerfered Taylormade R9 Head 9degrees loft, with a 45inch Matrix Ozik HD6 series stiff shaft... Thanks for everyone's input and hopefully this will help a lil with some roll out.. Take care and Merry Christmas to all

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Good pick up. If you got the 420cc R9 head, it'll have a lower launch, AND lower spin than the R9 460. Although both heads aren't exactly high launch.

The HD6 will offer you a more boring mid trajectory, and really low spin, giving you the lower shot AND more roll out.

🔥 Latest posts