• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I need help...

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I have been working on my game a lot lately, and I have gotten myself down to about a 3 or 4 hdcp right now. My current driver set up had been working for me up until my most recent swing changes which made every club in my bag more consistent except now I can't hit a fairway to save my life. I managed to get myself onto a launch monitor to work with my driver and see why I wasn't getting the carry or consistency I was expecting. My numbers are below along with my current driver set up.

SS:116
Ball Speed : 170
LA: 13.5*
Back Spin:4400

Cleveland Launcher DST 9.5* Whiteboard X Flex cut down to 43.75"

I am now looking for someone else who might have had trouble with too much spin and what they did to make it work for them. Thanks.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I have been working on my game a lot lately, and I have gotten myself down to about a 3 or 4 hdcp right now. My current driver set up had been working for me up until my most recent swing changes which made every club in my bag more consistent except now I can't hit a fairway to save my life. I managed to get myself onto a launch monitor to work with my driver and see why I wasn't getting the carry or consistency I was expecting. My numbers are below along with my current driver set up.

SS:116
Ball Speed : 170
LA: 13.5*
Back Spin:4400

Cleveland Launcher DST 9.5* Whiteboard X Flex cut down to 43.75"

I am now looking for someone else who might have had trouble with too much spin and what they did to make it work for them. Thanks.

Just looking at the picker to digger thread (and it's hard to tell without seeing a swing) but you may have overly applied the principle to your driver. 4400 is a lot of spin for a 13.5 launch angle, ideally I think youd want to be around 3200-3500. Put the ball just an inch further forward in your stance and concentrate on hitting through the ball, not down on it.

Just my $0.02 and I could be way off. Take it with as many grains of salt as you can... :)

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Your numbers are awesome except for spin. Lefty's advice is EXACTLY what i was thinking. The reason you dont want to hit down on the driver is that its on a tee, so you dont HAVE to hit down on it to make great contact. And the loft is so low that its actually beneficial to hit the ball on the upswing with the driver if you can. Not a lot, maybe 31 or 32 if you want to use the clock analogy i used in the other thread.

The swing is also flatter because of the longer club, so a more level or upward angle of attack is agreeable. Before you make any change at all, just move the ball forward and produce the exact same swing. Launch angle will rise slightly, but spin will plummet. The extra height with less spin will actually lead to MORE distance. If i recall Bubba's numbers correctly he is something like 16* launch with about 1000rpm spin. High launch, low spin with the driver.

So play it a hair forward but dont adjust your swing at all. Say hello to 25 more yards.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
One more thing; the longer club takes a but longer to return to square face angle. Thats another reason tonplay the ball forward. Youre giving the club adequate room to do its job. This is why people play the ball back farther for short clubs-- they return to square faster.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I spin my driver and fw's too much too...especially with straight shots or fades. Unless I hit a draw, my ball flight starts out low then rises and I get very little roll. Like Lefty indicated, I think my swing is more tailored for my irons. Another reason I have a problem hitting fairway woods. With my problem, ball placement doesn't help me. If you find something that helps, let me know.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.