• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I need some advice

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I looking for a recommendation on a light weight steel shaft for a senior.

One of my regular playing partners, who is 65, is playing Cally Bertha irons that are too long and too upright for him. He has a very consistent swing and he prefers steel over graphite in a shaft. He likes my clubs and wants to buy a full set of Titleist...irons, woods and wedges. He wants me to take him to my guy and get fitted.

Is there any particular brand of shaft that you guys would recommend that he check out?

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Are JPX irons forged?

My buddy told me he would like forged irons because he has never owned a set and this will be the last set of clubs he'll ever buy. He likes the AP2, but I'm not so sure that would be the ideal head for him.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I think I'm going to part with my Maltby TE's (forged 4-pw), and I have TT Lite shafts for them as well.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
He wants to buy new. He thinks this will be his last set. He's just 65 so I doubt it though, lol.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
I think the project X shafts are supposed to have a lighter feel to them. For my money, you cannot get a better feeling forging than Mizuno offers. I've been salivating over the MP-64s for some time...

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
AG, when reading your OP I had this mental image ... :cool:

awww.todaysgolfer.co.uk_upload_43306_attachments_BuildSequencingRopeTrickThree.jpg

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Have him hit a few shafts, shouldn't be to difficult if your going to a fitter. It won't take long for him to find the right shaft for him.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Have him hit a few shafts, shouldn't be to difficult if your going to a fitter. It won't take long for him to find the right shaft for him.

That was the plan. I just thought I would check with you guys and see if there were any stand-outs in light steel shafts. We're going in the morning, so we'll see what happens.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
That was the plan. I just thought I would check with you guys and see if there were any stand-outs in light steel shafts. We're going in the morning, so we'll see what happens.
Keep us posted!

I like either the FST 90 or 115 and Nippons. Depends in how much u want to spend!

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
He ended up buying Rocketbladez with a 80g stock shaft offering. He was hitting them so much farther than everything else. I realize the lofts are strong and the shafts are longer but that is what he wanted anyway. Next weekend he's going to get woods. He was about to run out of swings before he finished getting fitted for irons.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.