• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I need some help

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I need a motorcycle transmission and clutch for my, well, I guess race car is the best way to describe it. I could just run a single speed with a centrifugal clutch, but that is nonsense. I'm having some trouble locating a stand alone trans and clutch, everything I have found so far is for a specific model of engine, but mine has already been donated, so I can't substitute another. Fabricating a backplate and mounting the trans wouldn't be that difficult with the help of some of the guys I have recruited on my team, but a stand alone/universal would be so much simpler. Does anyone know where to find such a thing?

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Harley Davidson bikes have external transmissions - all but the Sportster models, that is. They're loud and clunky, and the gear throws are about a mile long, but at least it's an external unit.

If you used anything else (that I can think of off-hand, at least) you'd have to fabricate a fairly fancy case and linkage to support things, since they're normally housed in the tail section of the engine case. It would be a pretty decent sized pain in the ass.

What kind of engine do you have?

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Harley Davidson bikes have external transmissions - all but the Sportster models, that is. They're loud and clunky, and the gear throws are about a mile long, but at least it's an external unit.

If you used anything else (that I can think of off-hand, at least) you'd have to fabricate a fairly fancy case and linkage to support things, since they're normally housed in the tail section of the engine case. It would be a pretty decent sized pain in the ass.

What kind of engine do you have?

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a look at one, see if it's possible to match it up with my engine.

I will be using a Briggs Vanguard v twin, the same one used in Bandolero cars. Not my first choice, but I think it will work well if I can find the rest of the drivetrain components to match it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.