• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I played golf with the legendary, Token Hottie!

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
I don't think the issue here is so much that TH wants a swing thought of "Don't lift my left heel."

It's not addressing the cause of why she's lifting her left heel. Right now, if she were to go out and make a swing thinking "Don't lift my left heel" she might do nothing but exacerbate the issues of the reverse pivot.

She needs to focus on loading the weight onto her back leg. She may or may not have a little bit of heel lift when properly done.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Of course, the other idea that Hogan would advocate would be for TH to turn her left toe out a quarter turn. Positioning her foot that way would also be a positive move to creating the opportunity for a good weight transfer, and it also makes it more difficult for the heel to leave the ground. It's one of those little Hogan details of setup that does a lot to contribute to putting a golfer on the path to proper execution.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Rockford35 said:
Tim,

Penick also makes note that the front leg lift is a difficult thing to master, and should only be proposed to those that have significantly better balance or trouble making a full rotation because of a physical ailment.

I personally see an extremely high relationship between high handicaps and the front leg lift.

Take that for what it's worth.

R35

I agree with you Rock, and I believe Penick also said he would never teach it to anyone but would not correct it in a student unless it came as a result of another correction/teaching.

I am pretty sure my left heel leaves the turf or at least I feel the weight come off my heel when I swing, but I am not really concious of it when I am playing. If/when I think of such things as heel, leg, elbow, and head positons it is only on the range or when I am swinging a weighted club. If I try to do that in the course of a round I can not hit the ball at all and my score will suffer.

The less I think about my swing, the better I play. Sometimes it pays to be stupid. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
Of course, the other idea that Hogan would advocate would be for TH to turn her left toe out a quarter turn. Positioning her foot that way would also be a positive move to creating the opportunity for a good weight transfer, and it also makes it more difficult for the heel to leave the ground. It's one of those little Hogan details of setup that does a lot to contribute to putting a golfer on the path to proper execution.

Hogan sucks. :D

I agree with your statements. I wasn't necessarily telling her that her swing is/was flawed, just pointing out that there is a connection.

Tim, your sentiments about not thinking about your swing are bang on. But, you probably have a pretty good idea what went wrong when you hit a bad one, whereas people that are just starting out have no idea.

The foot can lift or not, the problem lies with that stationary head and the struggles to keep it still. You might as well limit the problems or causes.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I guess now I kinda feel bad about that picture I dug up and said was her.

Ahhh, not really. :p

Good work on getting together for a game and don't let these guys screw your swing up too much.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Rockford35 said:
Hogan sucks. :D

I agree with your statements. I wasn't necessarily telling her that her swing is/was flawed, just pointing out that there is a connection.

Tim, your sentiments about not thinking about your swing are bang on. But, you probably have a pretty good idea what went wrong when you hit a bad one, whereas people that are just starting out have no idea.

The foot can lift or not, the problem lies with that stationary head and the struggles to keep it still. You might as well limit the problems or causes.

R35

I'm back to report that I improved dramaticlly once I quit lifting my foot. I didn't hit one fat shot. That is worth a smiley face.:)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
mont86 said:
I'm back to report that I improved dramaticlly once I quit lifting my foot. I didn't hit one fat shot. That is worth a smiley face.:)

Cheque's in the mail, right?

:D

Good on ya, Mont.

R35

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Hottie......

Do NOT pay any attention to these boobs. I never intended the thread to become a festival of nitpicking your swing based on two snapshots (you guys should know better).

My intent was simply to verify your existance and tell the tale of the good time we had.

I lift my heel, Mayfair and Nicklaus do too and that's good enough for me. :p

Listen to your coach (you, the guy who actually can see what you are doing) and not a bunch of knowitalls from an internet forum.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Slingblade61 said:
Hottie......

Do NOT pay any attention to these boobs. I never intended the thread to become a festival of nitpicking your swing based on two snapshots (you guys should know better).

My intent was simply to verify your existance and tell the tale of the good time we had.

Listen to your coach (you, the guy who actually can see what you are doing) and not a bunch of knowitalls from an internet forum.

I agree, wholeheartedly. Even if I was the "boob" that started this whole whitewashing of your swing. That wasn't my goal, TH (and Bob).

I understand that you're still learning this stupid game and getting your swing into shape. There's still plenty more than can wrong from this point onwards...:D

Is Know-it-all one word, Sling? ;)

R35

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
Hottie......

I resemble that remark! :biglol:
Listen to your coach, after all you paid hm to make you better.
BTW, did you get a guarantee?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
token_hottie said:
Reading all this has made me come to the conclusion that my golf instructor doesn't know wtf he's talking about. The good news is I have 2 more lessons to take that I've already paid for... :mad:

Thanks for all the advice - will try to sift through it on the range.
I would side with Sling on this one. Listen to your instructor. I don't think I would spend a great deal of time sifting through it on the range. That time would probably be better spent trying to utilize what your instructor has told you. I think this is prime example that you are going to run across many different theories on the proper way to swing a club. All of which can probably be supported with well respected professional opinions. If you didn't solicite the advice, I would treat it as you probably already treat any other unsolicited advice about anything else, with a grain of salt.

If you feel you are improving steadily and at a pace you are comfortable, and enjoy the game and your current progress, listen to your instructor and no one else. Once you decide that is not the case then decide how much weight you want to put on other opinions, or simply hire a different instructor.

I would tend to believe that you probably didn't hear alot of this from your instructor simply because he/she may see other things to spend time addressing that which will better help your game.

Nice pictures BTW, but you really need to tee off behind the tee box. :)

🔥 Latest posts