• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I played the course in Augusta yesterday.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
The Augusta Country Club, that is. :) Right next door to Augusta National, so it shares the same topography & Rae's Creek, and to a lesser but still evident degree, the snobbery. I'd never played there before, as it is very private, but a friend got us on for $150each. Ouch.

Anyway, from outside the fence, all you can see is a big clubhouse and a few bits and pieces of golf course. Inside the fence, it is fricking huge. A full size range alongside a 7000 yard, HILLY course, with thickly wooded areas everywhere. The trees surrounding it were so thick, I heard no traffic noise.

Now you must realize this is on the Hill section of Augusta, the most exclusive pricey neighborhood of houses still in the city. This course, built by Donald Ross in 1899, was one of 2 owned by the old Bon Air Hotel back when Augusta was a resort (before air conditioning). The other course, was lost to Vinelands (a housing development) years ago. Bob Jones built the National next door, partly because of the other courses.

So the place is full of snooty, rich, *******s. :) But it's a nice course, other than the bentgrass greens, which I still think are pretentious and stupid in a place as hot as Augusta. The greens were in terrible shape, but the Bermuda fairways were wonderful. The bunkering and sand was superb, with high faces on the bunkers and coarse white sand. Most of the bunkers were at least 4 ft deep, but some were as deep as 15 ft. Yeah. Carnasty in Augusta.

Some par 4s were listed as short as 320 yards, but played so uphill that they were more like 400.

#14, a 120 yard par 3, has a brass plaque in the ground saying that Robert Tyre Jones, Jr., made a hole in one there in 1932, playing in a foresome (sic). Pretty cool.

Sorry, no pictures. I didn't want to look like a tourist. :)

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So that's that one ticked. When will you get the play the National?

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
So that's that one ticked. When will you get the play the National?

As soon as I get brave enough to climb the fence. :) I figure if I'm quick that I should get one or two shots in before the Pinkertons shoot, er, nab me.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Couldn't you cut around the back to 12 or something like that??? Climb that fence?

You might get a hole or maybe two done before the snipers get ya.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.