• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I set my record low 18 today!!!

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
My Previous low 18 before today was a Level Par 70 on Heaton Park. Today I broke that with a great round of 2 under 68 at Pike Fold. It was a Windy afternoon and the pins were tucked away in tough spots as yesterday was the Scratch Cup. I played with 2 good players. One is in his 40's, previously course record holder at his past club, in his hayday was off 2 but now a solid 5 handicapper. The other is 19 and has just turned Assistant Pro this season, he is starting his PGA course this September. They played to 6 & 7 respectably so thats how tough it was today. Below is how the round was constructed if you can be arsed reading it!!!

The round started with nothing Special Regulation Fairway, green 2 putt pars for the 1st 4 holes. Then I three Stabbed the 5th for a Bogey from 12 foot or so. Regulation Par at the next followed by my 1st Birdie on the Par 3, 7th hole. I holed a lob wedge from a pot hole bunker at the front of the green. That was the spark to some great golf... the 8th I was 6 foot away in 2 but couldn't convert the Birdie putt. Then on 9 I ripped a drive straight down the Pipe, perfect layup with my 2nd shot just short of the Water, lovely lob wedge from 50 yards to 6 foot and holed the Bird.... 1 under for the front 9. I drove the short par 4 10th and 2 putted for Birdie, a string of regulation Pars followed (apart from the 12 which was a scrambled Par into the wind) until the 15th were I drove just short of the green and got up and down for Birdie. The Par 3 16th was middle of the green tee shot, missed the edge of the hole by half inch with the 30 ft plus Birdie attempt, left me a tap in par. 17 I was on the long Par 4 in two, pin high but above the hole. I had a lapse of concentration and left my Birdie attempt half way at the top of the slope! The Par attempt broke agonisingly just past the cup. On 18 I pulled my drive left into the semi rough, it was a big drive though and left a Gap wedge to the heart of the green. The pin was back right on top of a big up slope. Good 2 putt for a 2 under 68. 4 Bird's, 2 Bogeys and 12 Pars....Not bad for a hacker who changed to TM Driver and Irons in the past week or so and used a Scotty DeTour 2 my friend asked me to sell on Ebay for him! I only used it as my JAT got wet at weekend and started to rust and I thought it was gonna rain again this evening, now I'm gonna have to keep it!

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Nice one, 70 round Heaton Park is a right result (my PB at Heaton Park is 77) as nearly every shot is blind! But to go under is summat else, who were your playing partners, I might know them.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
nice going paul - so what have they got you playing off now? You must be around 4?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Word up Paul! Nice consistent round. My guess is you are now 3. something, am I right? Was it just a bounce game?

Great feeling, eh? All the stars aligning, etc.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks everyone. :D

EG;- Ian Fairbrother is the older fella and Drew Roberts the young lad. Spot on about the next set going lower! WBL, You know me better than that! :p

Regards my Handicap, I'm actually a bit ov a bandit at the moment. I've gone up to 5.5 due to a few bad rounds. I've been threatening to go low but then throw shots away with doubles & more from nowhere! I was getting depressed with playing and thats why I decided to shuffle the bag, to get me into it again... If I kept the same clubs I would probably have not played for a few weeks. Yesterday was just a practice round so doesn't count towards my handicap, this weekend are doubles comp's so won't count to my handicap either! I'm hoping to get down to 4 before the end of the season. The main difference now is my driving. The FT9 Tour was probably with the L4V the longest driver I've had but the Tour Burner TP is pretty much up there with them but the bad shots are way better. My approach play, pitching & chipping have been letting me down lately and that was the biggest improvement yesterday, attacking pins at times and p0laying to the heart of the greens at others the ball just went pretty much where I aimed and the distance control with the irons was spot on.... TM Rocks!!!

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
MG how do you fancy a knock soon one afternoon? If I've got a weeks notice I can pretty much play any day, then you can help me get my swing back as I've played just twice since last October (if that last bit puts you off, feel free to be diplomatic ;-)

My Dad used to give me 2 shots a hole when I 1st started out, I'll only take 1 a hole off you though lol

Members online

No members online now.