• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I shot 34 today...

clint

Aug 17, 2006
...on four out of the first nine holes. YIKES!!!

Let me start off by saying I'm a pretty horrible golfer. My first three holes were absolute disasters; 8, 9, and 8. I couldn't quit skullin' the ball and I was about ready to go back to the clubhouse. Then I hit the green on the par 3 number four. Number five had me tappin' in for birdie. I boggied the next two holes and had a disasterous 9 on number eight followed by a boggie nine.

The back nine was much better but still had plenty of room for improvement. I've yet to break a 100. It seems like everytime I go out I improve what I did horribly on the previous game but something else falls apart. Until today I never kept track of my putts but my best guess is my last game had me somewhere around fifty plus putts. Today I putted forty times, eighteen of which were on the back nine. I just couldn't respectably get to the dang greens...just the opposite of the way I played last time. Today my buddy Jeff kept telling me they call that golf. Haha.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Just take it easy and don't expect anything of yourself.

To be honest though, I don't even know a person named Clint, so I guess you're in my fanclub?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Well, on the plus side, it sounds like you're counting all of your strokes, which is more than some people do. :D

My first time out, I shot a 121. I woulda quit counting after 100 (what's the friggin point?) but the guy I usually play with (who canceled yesterday because it was sprinkling, wimp) is so anal that he putts out 1 inchers.

Have fun, and try to hit balls on the range, or your yard every day.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
What the heck, I putt out 1 inchers.

In a friendly Sunday game? Do you line them up? Do the Furyk routine?

There's usually people waiting in the fairway, I can't see making them wait for a 1 incher.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
I always putt out on every hole if I am playing alone. It gives me my true score without any question...and Lord knows, I need the practice.

If I am in a group that plays gimmies, I will go along with the crowd. Sometimes, I am not entirely sure that I could make every gimmie that is tossed my way, though. As an example, I played alone today and missed a fifteen inch putt. Scuffed the ground with the putter and the ball only moved about 10 inches. :mad:

Back to the subject of the post. Clint, just keep at it; and things will fall into place for you. I have been playing for a couple of years and didn't break 100 until last week. I only played two or three times a month for the first 18 months and showed very little improvement. I have been playing 4-5 times a week for the last two months and my scores have dropped significantly and show much more consistency.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
In a friendly Sunday game? Do you line them up? Do the Furyk routine?

There's usually people waiting in the fairway, I can't see making them wait for a 1 incher.

I only line up my putts in a friendly game outside of 3 feet and if I am playing for score(which I always am). I make 98% of my <3 putts.

So no, I just walk up, stay out of peoples lines, and tap in. Doesn't take me anymore than 10 seconds. But I do always, always, always, tap in. Psyche thing I guess.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I do not usually putt out inside of a foot unless it has some break, is downhill, or is for par or better. I also have never missed one inside this distance so why waste other peoples time. If you're playing with me and putting 1 incher's, well, put the stick back and hurry up, I just teed off.

Don't worry too much about scores Clint. Scores come with getting better and more consistant. Take it one step at a time and you'll break 100 in no time. I've played with a guy who shot a 47 (9 holes) with a 3i,7i and a putter. He teed off with the 3iron and I could probably hit my Gap Wedge further. He did hit every fairway though and had like 10 putts. I love playing with guys like that, amazes me.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I do not usually putt out inside of a foot unless it has some break, is downhill, or is for par or better. I also have never missed one inside this distance so why waste other peoples time. If you're playing with me and putting 1 incher's, well, put the stick back and hurry up, I just teed off.

Don't worry too much about scores Clint. Scores come with getting better and more consistant. Take it one step at a time and you'll break 100 in no time. I've played with a guy who shot a 47 (9 holes) with a 3i,7i and a putter. He teed off with the 3iron and I could probably hit my Gap Wedge further. He did hit every fairway though and had like 10 putts. I love playing with guys like that, amazes me.

Well, I turn in all my scorecards and such, so I don't want there to be any question.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.