• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I suck at golf

DVS

Aug 15, 2007
I have always sucked at Par 5s, primarily because I never had the distance to play them in regulation. However, once I got hybrid club, my second shot always got me within at least a mid-iron to the green. At that point, I'd tell myself to forget that its a Par5 and play it like a simple Par3.

The last 3-4 rounds that I have played, I am +1 (or zero) combined on the Par5s.

However like many, I am having trouble on the Pars3s....but only the long ones. Again due to distance, I can't get there in regulation. Usually short of the green or spray it left and right. If its a simple up-and-down, I'll make par, otherwise its usually a bogey at the best. :( (But Par3s that at in my "range", I tend to do pertty well on them).

-DVS

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
IHowever like many, I am having trouble on the Pars3s....but only the long ones. Again due to distance, I can't get there in regulation.

-DVS

Some of the courses I play seem to have only long par 3s: 190 yards and more. Boring and stupid IMHO.

The course I will be playing in 2 weeks at the Public Links has some scary looking par 3s. I should have taken some pictures yesterday but I forgot the camera. They are 175 yards over a creek, 170 yards over the creek again, 210 yards with the creek behind the green :( , and 175 yards over the creek and up the hill.

They really love that creek there. Actually it's the Apalachee River, but the darn thing is so small that it looks like a creek to me.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Yea, im seeing a lot of the same problem here. A lot of the courses from the tips dont make the par 3s good, so theyre all just long irons and straight forward up and downs at the very worst.

Back home they had some longer par 3s, but also short ones that were very challenging, with tough greens and tough bunkering and tough pins.

Whatever happend to the good ol par 3s instead of these monster 200+ yard ones?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I hate the 200+ par 3's.

On my home course today I managed to squeek out a 47, felt a lot worse though. Made par on 1 of the par 3's & bogeyed the other....frickin 3 putted it. Greens were ultra fast today, I have never seen them this bad & considering all the rain we had recently they are in horrible horrible shape. 3 putted on 3 holes & normally on this course putting isn't nowhere near that bad. Was going for birdie on the last hole which is a dog leg right par 5 & ended up 3 putting because of the lousy green condition.

Hey you don't think i'm going to blame myself for missing that putt do you?:hunter:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Looking at Par 3 length is one of the deciding factors in which tees I play on a given day. Normally, I look for a total course distance between 6000 and 6500, but if I find the longer tees make all the par 3's 190 yard+ I will move in one set of tees. I hate having to use the same tee club on all four par 3's. Ideally, I like to see one long one 190+, one short one 120-130, and two in the mid lenghts 150-180.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Looking at Par 3 length is one of the deciding factors in which tees I play on a given day. Normally, I look for a total course distance between 6000 and 6500, but if I find the longer tees make all the par 3's 190 yard+ I will move in one set of tees. I hate having to use the same tee club on all four par 3's. Ideally, I like to see one long one 190+, one short one 120-130, and two in the mid lenghts 150-180.

You and I smoke from same peace pipe, keemosabe...
icon10.gif

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Yea, thats wat its like at my home course, but they should lengthen out the par 4s/5s imo. But the par 3s from the tips are 220 (but downhill), 130, 150, 180 (but usually plays downwind).

Great set of par 3s imo.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007

You and I smoke from same peace pipe, keemosabe...
icon10.gif

So whatcha got in that peace pipe, huh? Pass it around... :laugh:

Yep, I do the same thing. If I could consistently hit 200+ yd. shots accurately then I'd have a mid-single digit index. That's probably the weakest part of my my game and I don't really enjoy playing four 190+ yd. par 3's in a round and saying to myself on every tee "gee, I hope I am least somewhere close to the green" :D

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I also hate when most of the par 3's are require the same club. This is nothing more than bad design. A good designer will have you hitting a different stick into all of the par 3's. Like Tim mentioned, a good test is one long, one short and 2 in between. Same for par 5's, at least one should be reachable in two from every set of tees, and another have a good risk/reward opportunity. This is what makes a course fun to play imo.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
To go along with the parallel topics in this thread:

First, I hate golf with a passion but can't wait till I'm playing tomorrow.

Second, I agree with the par threes. My home course has some good ones. The best is #9 where depending on the various factors such as wind and pin placement, I need to hit anything from my #3 hybrid all the way dwon to a 7 iron.

I hate courses with boring par fours that all measure about the same length and either slight dog leg lefts or slight dog leg rights. I like for there to be some variety here as well.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I hate courses with boring par fours that all measure about the same length and either slight dog leg lefts or slight dog leg rights. I like for there to be some variety here as well.

I played more than a few rounds at my Dad's club in Fort Worth. Lots of straight par 4's that all measured about the same length, with slight dog leg lefts or slight dog leg rights.

The first time I played there I thought it was boring. The more I played there the more I came to appreciate the devilish placement of trees and bunkers that turned a seemingly boring wide open hole into a shotmaker's delight. You had to be very precise, or you had approach shots into slippery greens that ran away from you. Hit your drive correctly, and you had a good angle into a green that would accept a shot. Hit your drive incorrectly (even if it was in the middle of the fairway) and you had to really work hard to finish the hole.

Point is, a good designer doesn't need to go all Pete Dye on a course to make it challenging and fun. It's all about forcing the player to understand where best to play each shot from. I still believe it was one of the best course designs I've ever seen (outside of the few top 100 courses I've played - which are masterpieces).

Turkish

Jul 31, 2007
After my best 9 hole "round" (par 30 :p, but my shots were great ) my next 3 outings have been absolutely terrible. I went from finally getting a hang of this thing, to absolutely topping the ball to hitting a divot further than the ball itself, to actually slicing my irons (that never happened to me before...). I don't know what I've done lately, but yesterday was so bad.

Took the day off to do some housework and play nine. From the slow old people in front to the guy that played 2 balls, picked them up, and walked back to play them again on the final par 4, to the greens being fixed and temporary ones sitting on divoted pre-green fairway, I left and got a rain check after 5 holes. Nothing worked for me, it was the first time I wanted to break my clubs. :D

Time to hit the range I guess, and schedule my first lesson soon.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Wow Ez. Even my normally zen ass would be fuming after a three hour round behind a bunch of hack losers. I feel for ya'.

Any chance you and I getting some golf in when you come to Tampa? Maybe a couple of the other guys in the area? (UALtim, Crossfire, Sandwedge?)

Actually the plan changed. I'm dropping the truck in Ft. Lauderdale now and taking another right back up. The local guys will deliver it in Tampa. One of these days though.
icon10.gif

I'm actually headed out right now so talk to you next week guys.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.