• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

i think i cured my shanks.

johnny

Dec 22, 2008
this is just to let anybody who gets the dreaded shanks know what worked for me to "cure" them. it started about 2 weeks ago. first just one shanked shot in a round, then a couple, culminating in hitting 3 ob from the first fairway, one from the 2nd and 3 more ob from the 3rd fairway a few days ago. lol-very frustrating to see a round go up in smoke right from the start.!
i read a few suggestions online, none of which worked. finally i hit upon it while hitting 3 balls with different swing thoughts. i now concentrate on keeping my hands behind the ball at impact and it feels like i am "flipping" my wrists a bit more. no shanks in 3 rounds now and a side affect is my irons are flying much more directly at the pins. i had noticed my short irons had been gradually becoming less accurate the last few weeks. i have always had a bit of a sway in my swing, kind of a sliding forward movement of my entire body so i think i may have been swaying forward a bit too much, and thusly getting my hands too far ahead at impact.
so there ya go. i'm a happy golfer again!

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
I have read many times, maybe one day I will finally believe it, that shanks are caused by a too open clubface at some point during the swing. The shaft rotates around the sweet spot of the face, so if you hit the ball with the hosel(shaft), then you havent rotated the clubface closed enough to hit the ball on center...

I have the shanks right now and if I close the clubface at setup, they go away... but Im still trying to figure at what point, or what action, is causing the clubface to open up, or not close enough during the swing.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Less active hands; feel like you have the clubfaced VERY closed at the top from what you're used to. Really closed- pointing at the sky closed. Then just try to return your hands to the place they were at impact-- the same distance from the body. Voila.

🔥 Latest posts