• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I think I've got a swing coach

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Is steep back in style?
Im taking lessons right now, and we are working on getting more upright... I dont know why I swing so flat, but its obviously not for everyone... must be spending too much time on wrx.... no more random range sessions trying out stuff I read on the internet.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It's not really about flat or steep. It's about getting the club stuck behind me, sucked back. It looks flat if you have a 1plane swing and are short, like say Ben Hogan, who was 5'7". I can't expect to totally model a swing off a guy who is 6inches shorter than me. As far as swings go, I like Adam Scott, Ogilivy and McIlroy for swings to look at. Rory especially has the high hands that are exactly like I should have at the top.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Speaking of good players my boss is one for sure. He played at SMU and spent about 3 years making a go of it for a living. This was years ago, back in the early 90s. He current has a H/C of +2.2. He played my home course with my last summer. We of course had to play from the tips. It plays just over 6900 from there. He had some sort of wedge on almost every par 4. He is extremely long. He reached the par 5 15th that plays 573 with a driver and 19* hybrid and was on the back fringe. BTW there was no wind and the hole is slightly uphill. He shot a nice 68.

We were at Bay Hill in Nov'07 and played it 3 times. He had a one in a million front nine one day. He shot 3 over 39. The special thing about the 39 was he did not have a 5, 6, 7, or 8 on the scorecard. He took a 9 on the par 5 6th after putting two in the water off the tee. That is the hole with the huge lake.

After playing with him a handful of times, I thought to myself if he could not make on the tour man those guys are really good.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Good going, Ez. Keep it up. But gwlee speaks truth. Getting to scratch and plus is very, very, very difficult.

What pisses me off is that I will get better....and then regress to where I have to spend weeks trying to find my swing again. That's where a good coach or teacher can help you.

I had an epiphany last night about what I have been doing wrong the last couple of weeks, but I won't be able to try it out until tomorrows tourney. What a great time to make a swing change, huh? :D

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Good going, Ez. Keep it up. But gwlee speaks truth. Getting to scratch and plus is very, very, very difficult.

What pisses me off is that I will get better....and then regress to where I have to spend weeks trying to find my swing again. That's where a good coach or teacher can help you.

I had an epiphany last night about what I have been doing wrong the last couple of weeks, but I won't be able to try it out until tomorrows tourney. What a great time to make a swing change, huh? :D

I can't agree more about a good teacher. I couldn't see it for the life of me. I posted a ton of swing videos and got great advice but there were still pieces missing. I guess it was only a matter of time, no way I could keep hitting the ball that well at the range and not eventually take it out to the course. Hopefully I'll see that guy over there today. When I get time off in another week and a half I'll spend a solid 2-4 hrs. with him hitting balls and start getting things more ingrained.

I know Gwlee is right. Otherwise I'd have shot a lot lower, under par yesterday. If I just change my "others" to bogey it would have been 74. I played another 9 but there was a HS team practicing in front of me, 2 groups deep. I took about 2hrs. to play 6 holes, hitting shots from all over the place, out of bunkers and difficult pitches. That's the good part. My wedge game always has been my strongest point and I love practicing it. If you saw that stupid video where I hit the wedge in the cup, my reaction says it all. Practicing short game is very similar to my practice with basketball when I was a kid. I used to come home from school and play till dark. Shovel a path to the hoop in the snow. I even had targets on the wall in the basement and used to practice dribbling and then passing to the targets. Just like golf, I used to love to pull something off in a game that I'd practiced for hours. I miss the euphoric feeling of "the zone", when I didn't even think, I just reacted. It was like everyone else was in slow motion and I could move full speed. Everything dropped, the hoop was 5times it's normal size, no thinking about it, they just went in. I got a glimpse of that for a few holes yesterday playing golf. I just swung the club and the ball went at the flagstick. Makes every minute, every hour, every ball I've hit so worth it... and I'm hungry for much more.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Damn Ezra you just saved me a golf lesson, played around yesterday at the golf shop flattening my swing and I was smoking everything! It was nice to pure the Cobra Pro CBs. Crap now I have to go buy a set.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
What is the slope from the tees you played Ez ? Great playing BTW

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
What is the slope from the tees you played Ez ? Great playing BTW

There is no official slope now because they have temp tees setup in front of the real elevated tee boxes. White is 126 and it's playing about the white yardage. Little shorter distance wise. Clubwise, right now it's playing longer than the whites in like June-Sept. I play the blues when the teeboxes open up and it's 130 off those. Only 200yds. longer white to blue though, which is literally dispersed at like 11yds. a hole.

So, as I suspected the golf gods have frowned upon me for talking $hit. I just shot 91 with 4greens and 33 putts. My worst score there since probably a year ago.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
This probably goes more for my "rounds slipping away" thread but I really have to let a bad shot or bad hole go. I started out bogey, bogey, birdie and the bogies were stupid ones. I then hit a good tee shot on a par 5 with my 3W, go for it with a 195yd. 3i and totally chunk the $hit out of it. Rolls down the hill into a $hit lie blocked by tree branches. I hit a 6i cut and it ended up in the left bunker. First shot, still in, second shot, rolls back in, 3rd shot, all ball and goes 60yds. over the green into the 10th fairway blocked by like 8 trees. I took a GD 9 on that hole and it was over. I knew I'd blown it again and my swing went to hell. Takeaway was very quick and just a mess. I hit good drives on several holes after that but started pulling irons left.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
I'm in the exact same boat as you Ez, or I should say I was at the end of last year. I would go out, shoot a 78 and think, I've got it!! I would then over think every shot and shoot a 87 next round. Only when I forgot about score and just tried to get the damn ball in the hole, did I lower my cap to the current 7.2 It sounds like your making great progress, but setbacks are normal and expected. I say relax, just get it in the hole and continue to have fun with little concern for handicap or score. It worked for me:)

🔥 Latest posts