• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I want the truth on 3Woods!

Cmallo

Jan 3, 2008
Ok, so here is my predicament. I just got some new irons and i am about to trade in my old Fusion irons and my Big Bertha 07' (The biggest hack club ever). I am looking forward to purchasing a new 3 wood. I will have 300$. The obvious competitors are the TEE CB1, G10, Burner TP, Hyper X Tour. Buying this tommorow, tell me asap.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Out of those I've only had the BurnerTP and the CB1. If you look at my sig., you see me choice.
icon10.gif
TEE was better in every aspect.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I'll vote the TEE 15*. 3rd season on mine and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Avoid the Hyper X tour(and regular) i havent heard a single good thing about it yet.

Id give it to either the TEE CB1(why not the CB2 though?) or the Ping G10. Demo demo demo though. Ive heard amazing things about each one, and in my demo'ing i have loved each one. Both forgiving(edge to G10 though)and both long.

Im not a fan of the stock ping shafts though(the TFC ones). The PL red is much better, but i dont know if comes stock in the 3wood model.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Avoid the Hyper X tour(and regular) i havent heard a single good thing about it yet.

Id give it to either the TEE CB1(why not the CB2 though?) or the Ping G10. Demo demo demo though. Ive heard amazing things about each one, and in my demo'ing i have loved each one. Both forgiving(edge to G10 though)and both long.

Im not a fan of the stock ping shafts though(the TFC ones). The PL red is much better, but i dont know if comes stock in the 3wood model.
It does, just hard to find.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
For me a three wood head is a three wood head. It's the loft and shaft choices that set the clubs apart.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Think seriously about a 4 wood instead of a 3 wood...easier to hit and almost as long.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
For me a three wood head is a three wood head. It's the loft and shaft choices that set the clubs apart.

That is false on so many levels. There is face height/depth. Shape of head. COG. Face angle. Maybe you want moveable weights. Score lines across the face or not? Asthetics also play a HUGE role.One must also consider the hosel bore, so that you can get the proper shaft in, if any reshafting is necessary.

As you can see, there are a ton of options to consider.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Go out and hit as many as you can and buy the one that:

1. Fits your eye
2. Fits your swing
3. Gives you the best performance
4. And, if money is a concern, is the best bang for the buck.

No doofus on an internet site is gonna tell you what works and what don't.

I've been trying for years, and it rarely works. :D

Everything that has been mentioned so far is a winner. So how much ahead are you?

Seriously, hit them all, buy what works. It's not rocket science. :)

Have fun. Hitting a million clubs is the best part of the experience. ;)

R35

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
That is false on so many levels. There is face height/depth. Shape of head. COG. Face angle. Maybe you want moveable weights. Score lines across the face or not? Asthetics also play a HUGE role.One must also consider the hosel bore, so that you can get the proper shaft in, if any reshafting is necessary.

As you can see, there are a ton of options to consider.

Did you miss the "for me" part? He means that he can play any 3 wood head. That means that his opinion may differ from yours. No need to go off on some guy for HIS opinion.

Your post? That's your opinion. Take a deep breath and relax.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Ok, so here is my predicament. I just got some new irons and i am about to trade in my old Fusion irons and my Big Bertha 07' (The biggest hack club ever). I am looking forward to purchasing a new 3 wood. I will have 300$. The obvious competitors are the TEE CB1, G10, Burner TP, Hyper X Tour. Buying this tommorow, tell me asap.

One that you don't see mentioned often, but which I have and love is the Mizuno F-60. It's offered in 2 lofts 13.5° and 15°, and the 15° that I have is the best 3W I've ever owned. At least give one a test before you go another way. $199 at TGW. :)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Think seriously about a 4 wood instead of a 3 wood...easier to hit and almost as long.
I tend to believe TEE 4w is probably as long as my old G2 3w that made a permanent exit from my bag. Actually on the average, it is probably longer because unlike my 3w it is alot more consistent and almost aways in play, which could not be said about my 3w. It is just as consistent if not more so than my old 5w. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite clubs and right up there with my 23* baffler, which prior to getting the G2's, my old Adams Tight Lies 5w was my favorite club next to my putter. It is really nice to have that much confidence in my FW's again. My G2 FW's are probably the biggest mistake I ever made since picking up the game.

Leaves no question that I will never own a 3w again, and eliminated the indecision I used to have on what to get rid of to make room for my 4th wedge.

I would find it hard to recomend anything but the CB1 on that list for price point alone, which can be had for about 1/2 the price now at around $100 or less than 1/3 of what they were right around a year ago, and I can't imagine the others are better, but haven't hit them.

edit 1 - ... realize though, the fact that the TEE 4w being as long as 3w's I have hit or played may or may not be a good thing as it could possibly leave a distance gap in your bag matched up with your other clubs. For me it worked out well because in picking up the 7w as well it just kind of widened each gap slightly.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
You have $300

Maltby ke4 - TTDG shaft - sharpro grip = $51

Meaning you still have $249 and a club as good as any on your list

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Omigod! Like...good advice? No way! No freakin' way...
I ran out of wisecracks...but, it was only temporary!

I tend to believe TEE 4w is probably as long as my old G2 3w that made a permanent exit from my bag. Actually on the average, it is probably longer because unlike my 3w it is alot more consistent and almost aways in play, which could not be said about my 3w. It is just as consistent if not more so than my old 5w. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite clubs and right up there with my 23* baffler, which prior to getting the G2's, my old Adams Tight Lies 5w was my favorite club next to my putter. It is really nice to have that much confidence in my FW's again. My G2 FW's are probably the biggest mistake I ever made since picking up the game.

Leaves no question that I will never own a 3w again, and eliminated the indecision I used to have on what to get rid of to make room for my 4th wedge.

I would find it hard to recomend anything but the CB1 on that list for price point alone, which can be had for about 1/2 the price now at around $100 or less than 1/3 of what they were right around a year ago, and I can't imagine the others are better, but haven't hit them.

edit 1 - ... realize though, the fact that the TEE 4w being as long as 3w's I have hit or played may or may not be a good thing as it could possibly leave a distance gap in your bag matched up with your other clubs. For me it worked out well because in picking up the 7w as well it just kind of widened each gap slightly.
I have found my G10 4 wood to be a great club and so far I haven't noticed any problem with the driver/4 wood/21º hybrid distance gaps. IMHO the gap size at the top of the bag is less important than your ability to hit your 3 longest clubs well.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online