• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I want the truth on 3Woods!

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Find somewhere that has a launch monitor and see which one you hit the best! ;)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have found my G10 4 wood to be a great club and so far I haven't noticed any problem with the driver/4 wood/21º hybrid distance gaps. IMHO the gap size at the top of the bag is less important than your ability to hit your 3 longest clubs well.
Up here I only notice it because our area and on the mountain courses, they tend to make up the overall distances on a lot of the courses by having consistently longer par 3's than most other areas. So you will see alot that range from 180~210 yards. Where the 160 range seems to be the shorter of the par 3 spectrum.

Where even with that said, it is still more important to be able to hit the longer clubs IMO. Then simply aiming for the front or back of some of the affected greens. Probably wouldn't even notice it so much if I hadn't taken about 20 yards off my FW's and about 15 off my irons last year for the sake of consistency. Initially the entire concept of my 4i/R was to play 3 specific par 3's on my home course, now those are in the 7w range, and depending on the tee box set up, it can leave me a problem if they put the tee's back and the pin back or with wind as the 7w wood may be a stretch, and in most cases the 4w would fly the green and likely result in a penalty.

The good part is the beginning of this year, and having more familiarity with my newly adopted swing and shot nature from last year, the distances seem to be coming back.

jackerman

Apr 30, 2008
Find somewhere that has a launch monitor and see which one you hit the best! ;)

Absolutely the best advice. You have to like what you are looking at but at the same time SHAFT MAKES UP ABOUT 70% of the three woods. All new 3 wood heads from the top manufactures relatively have the same technology it really come down to looks and shaft. (in most cases) The spin rate of your golf ball and the launch angle of your golf ball will be the big key to the club you are going to get.

But when in dought get the one you like to look at most. Positive looks usally reflect positive results.

Jeffrey Ackerman

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
I have a pentley shaft in my PT 15 and when I'm swinging it well (not now) I have no problem poping it out there. I think its finally time for a change though since I hit my 5 wood farther then it. I may settle on a 4 wood.

OP
Cmallo

Cmallo

Jan 3, 2008
Tried out all the following: Titleist F4 with an Aldila By You, TEE CB1 with an Aldila NV, Ping G10 with a V2, Hyper X with an OEM, and finally the Burner TP with an OEM. Well I have to say it was not even a competition. The Titleist did not look good and felt too much like an iron. THe TEE had the lowest, penetrating trajectory that i would like if I was a tour pro but I am actually just a 12 handicapper. The G10 did not respond well to my shallow swing for some reason. The Hyper X was everything bad: big, ugly,and heavy. Finally, I took a burner TP for a test drive. I tried the Tour Spoon version. THe trajectory was unmatched. A little higher than the TEE and 10- 12 yards longer. Thanks for everyones help. :idhitit:

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
This is why you demo. (Like I should talk) Good luck with your new 3 wood!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
One that you don't see mentioned often, but which I have and love is the Mizuno F-60. It's offered in 2 lofts 13.5° and 15°, and the 15° that I have is the best 3W I've ever owned. At least give one a test before you go another way. $199 at TGW. :)
Have you tried the F-50? If so, is the F-60 better? The reason I ask is that I have the F-50 4-wood, and so far it's the best FW club I've tried.

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
I have been hitting a 16 degree big bertha 3 wood for a year now and thats all I keep in my bad. Hitting drivers is mental for me I have a tendency to try and muscle a driver and I top it and get nasty slices. So far I have been hitting my 3 wood consistently straight and pretty far (for a 3W) a driver would give me some more distance but I will take a shot in the fairway that is 25/50 yards back than a shot further up in the thick or trees. I say hit what feels comfortable for you. And confidence is a big factor, if you have confidence in your clubs and you feel good using them you will play more consistently.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Have you tried the F-50? If so, is the F-60 better? The reason I ask is that I have the F-50 4-wood, and so far it's the best FW club I've tried.

I went with the F-60 in the 15° because it is really a strong 4W, which is really more like what I wanted. I haven't tried the F-50, but my brother has the F-60 4W, and likes it a lot. I can tell you, if I decide to get another one to fill the gap between my 3W and my 4 hybrid, it's going to be an F-60 4W.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
THe TEE had the lowest, penetrating trajectory that i would like if I was a tour pro but I am actually just a 12 handicapper.
You do realize the Aldila NV is designed with a lower trajectory in mind and is likely the reason for what you mention? Although from what I have heard, this is not to say that the Stock Fuji is a better option, from what I have heard it may simply be the worst golf shaft known to mankind. Not sure what you are looking at price wise at the TM, but you may be able to get the CB1 for less than $100 and reshaft it with whatever best fits your needs and may still come in cheaper.

Then again, maybe the TM is the right club, and you could get it without the hassle. While I like the Aldila NV on the TEE, I also play a 16.5* 4w and 21* 7w and have not tried the 3w with the NV. If you like the feel of the TEE, and have access to the same shafted 4w you may want to see how it compares to the the TM. If you hit it roughly the same distance as the TM, which may not fully surprise me since I believe I hit mine about as far as any 3w I have tried, it may give you an indication what you may be able to do with a 3w with a suitable shaft.

Not really trying to sell you on the TEE, just making sure you were aware that the reasons you mention for not liking the TEE is probably in relation to the shaft and not the club. When I was researching mine, it seem the norm for this club was to buy and reshaft immediately.

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
Though I have tons of clubs I've used and reviewed, not many are 3w and none on your list.

I have an R7 Dual TP 3-wood which flies very straight and true, but not as far as others I've used. If the other TP's TM makes are similar then there's some data. Hard to say though.

Right now I have a MacGregor MT (the new one) in the bag and I'm liking it. It noticably longer than the TM.

Another option is perhaps a 15 degree hybrid. Easier to hit.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Another option is perhaps a 15 degree hybrid. Easier to hit.

Not necessarily. I hit a 3W just fine, but I've tried some 15 degree hybrids and I can't use them worth a lick. To me, they look and play too much like a long iron, which I also don't hit well.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Just bought a 3 wd from McDavis..Ping...it is sweet.For some reason I get along well with Pings.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online