• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

i would call this an improvement... how about you?

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
i recently purchased a set of adams tight lies tour irons. the kind tom watson used in the early 2000s. and while i like them a lot the backs are really ugly. so here is a before and after. let me know what you think.
adamsTightLiesTour.jpg
iron full bag.jpg
iron back.jpg
iron sole.jpg

OP
E

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
whoops. sorry the pictures didnt show. there they are though.

OP
E

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
lots of taping lol and 2 light coats of this anti rust paint. and after it dried i removed the tape and took a small x-acto knife and made it look like it was done professionally. the irons still feel amazing and it didnt make it any heavier at least not by more than a gram or 2. it has a very light textured finish on the back. it looks nice and makes it look a little like the titleist 895cm irons. me thinks.

OP
E

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
thanks. for some reason this is exactly how i pictured them even before i bought them. i only paid 70 bucks for them. im going to reshaft them. hopefully before the winter is over. just in time for the 09 season.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
They look very nice, an improvement for the better for sure!! I find that with a lot of newer clubs as well. They have all this fancy, flashy stuff on them for no real purpose but looks. I like the sleek look, someone also brought up stealthy. Let your game do that talking, not your flashy clubs.

OP
E

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
you can still see it vaguely on some... what i should have done was taken some wood puttey in the letters and smoothed that out and then done it. but i didnt even think about it until afterwards. i could probably just remove the paint and do it all again. but i think ill just keep it like this.

im going to grind down the leading edge a hair or so. and im going to try to slim the topline just a hair like a half a mm. i have to change the shafts still but the hosel diameter is .390 sooooo that means ill either be putting a shim on a .370 or cutting a .370 from the tip which if im not mistaken will only make the shaft stiffer correct? and it wont look ridiculous because ill be doing the same to all of the irons. so i dont know... any ideas? these irons are my winter project.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
.....looks good. wanna do my set? I have a set of those sitting in my closet lol.

Jun 24, 2006
That must have taken a long time, but it looks to be worth it. Great job.

I'm smack in the middle of a pain fill change on my Mizuno's and I've played with them for ..at least 2 hours.

Takes a long time to get each iron PERFECT.

Will post pics when I'm done.

🔥 Latest posts