• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

If you can't hit driver, DON'T!

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
You're right... that does sound silly. You've been keeping that in for a long time haven't you? Ya know, we're not all sitting here drunk. What's with the brutal honesty.... next thing ya know you'll be drunk dialing an ex.:D

Go try it.. It's pretty damn fun. Only thing that made it better was drinking wine-coolers while playing from the reds!!!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Silveruberxeno,
not addresed in this thread....
and I am curious :)

just what/where does the ball go when you hit your Driver ?

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I tend to hit it off the heel. I noticed a swing issue I've had- letting the hands get too far from my body. Haven't hit the range since then, but it should make a big difference with the driver. Lately it's been all over, trying to direct the face at impact with flippiness to offset the fact that my hands are too close to the ball. Not good stuff! Even so, fairly controllable, just feels like weak contact and doesn't go that far. When I hit it center, I hit it very nicely.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
SUX,

What you described, is exactly what was going on with me today. My driver just felt SO weak.. I was shot of EVERYWHERE I normally am.. I mean, so short, it just stunned the hell out of me. Only club that bailed me out was my hybrid.. Got so bad, I'd just slam it, or choke down on it, and use it off the tee, and for some long approaches...

I had to put the driver away after posting a 47 on the front..

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Course is a 130 slope 72.7 rating and I've shot 80, 81, 81. My course handicap is 10 and trending to 11. I'm actually trending 8.8 now. I didn't have enough scores in so I was pulling off 5-6 of them before. Now I've got 20 and the highest in the 10 is an 86 or 87. Trust me, I want it higher. I'm hoping it'll be 12 CH in a few more weeks, I need it.

Edit- I actually just looked it up and it was revised to 8.8.
GHIN Lookup by Name or Number#

Looking at your history you will likely be between 12 and 14. It takes at about 20 counted scores in GHIN system before it shows an accurate handicap. Can I play you as an 8.8?:D

scgamecock

Feb 5, 2009
The real world is a bitch aint it? A lot of guys simply refuse to believe these numbers when I show them, and many exaggerate beyond belief. In the end I could count on one had the number of people who can hit a drive (unassisted by wind, or rock hard fairway) more than 260 yards.

That's pretty surprising. I know quite a few people who do it on a very consistent basis.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Looking at your history you will likely be between 12 and 14. It takes at about 20 counted scores in GHIN system before it shows an accurate handicap. Can I play you as an 8.8?:D

Sure. I see you don't know much about the handicap system. You do know that you are only supposed to play to your cap 1/5 times. Any more than that it drops, any less it will go up. They system is also based off a 116 slope so I'd only be expected to shoot 81 at a 116. Last time I even played a 118 I shot 77 and that was 3yrs. ago.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I don't know much about the handicap system???!!!!! Ha Ha!!!! This coming from a guy that puts an unrealistically low handicap in his signature on a golf forum. OK, whatever you say. How many scores did you have in the system when you had a 7 handicap in your signature? Two??????

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
They system is also based off a 116 slope so I'd only be expected to shoot 81 at a 116.
Actually, the slope is based off a 113. Also if you look at your index history it was the 7.7 you mentioned on 6/24/09, or probably just prior to your last 2-4 rounds based on the trend of your scores and the fact that it has use 3 of your last 5 rounds. Or basically the last time that it was calculated prior to the current 8.8, as the 8.8 was done on 7/8/09 and is only done every 2 weeks. It was 9.1 both of the beginning times when you first started tracking it through GHIN.

It will recalculate on Wednesday. Better keep up on that. :laugh:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't know much about the handicap system???!!!!! Ha Ha!!!! This coming from a guy that puts an unrealistically low handicap in his signature on a golf forum. OK, whatever you say. How many scores did you have in the system when you had a 7 handicap in your signature? Two??????

Whatever. You're the one crying about it when it's just that you shoot the same lowest scores at an easier track. 80 is off 6.9 at my course, so there you might be in the 7's. I don't really care about it. I'll be under 7 by the end of the year, no problem. I just enter every score and that's what the USGA says my cap is.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I don't really care about it. I'll be under 7 by the end of the year, no problem. I just enter every score and that's what the USGA says my cap is.

Actually you are much more likely to go in the other direction. You will see exactly what I mean as you put more and more scores in the system. I just wouldn't go around telling people I was a 7 or 8 cap quite yet if I were you. Wait till you have 20 scores on there. Good luck.;)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Actually you are much more likely to go in the other direction. You will see exactly what I mean as you put more and more scores in the system. I just wouldn't go around telling people I was a 7 or 8 cap quite yet if I were you. Wait till you have 20 scores on there. Good luck.;)

We'll see next revision. I have 20 in there now as of last round. It's going to pull off an 86 and probably an 87 I think next time. Truth be told it's actually artificially high for the year. I started it over and didn't bring in any other rounds. I had an 82 and 84 at Fenner Hill, which is a 134 slope as well as 78, 79, 80,80, 81x3, 82x3 at Triggs which is also 129. The below 80's were ESC'd.

For me it's just a matter of adjusting to a much tougher course. The slope does not do the course justice at all and is lower because of the yardage IMO. Triggs or Fenner Hill being even or higher is a joke. The greens at Triggs are half the speed/undulation and twice the size. Then both courses have fairways easily double the width with sparse rough less than half as long. I can bomb driver all day long at either of those courses and I don't even put my driver in the bag a lot of the time at Valley. Actually going to have my old 50* GW bent to 51* and use that instead of driver... or should I say bag that instead of driver, 112yd.tee shots won't get it done, lol.

Another difference is Valley is a 100% draw player course, not a fade hole on the course. Triggs is the opposite, almost every hole sets up for a cut, which is my bread and butter.

🔥 Latest posts