• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

If you could have any part of your golf game corrected, what would it be?

onplane

PGA Teaching Professional
Jan 1, 2007
I've given probably 15,000 private golf lessons, and have seen it all! While I was competing (before back surgery) I had taken my share of lessons by quote "Top 100 Instructors". It is clear to me the most common problems each different level of golfer seems to make, but I was always curious to hear what the average golfer would consider his/her biggest problem, and what would they want fixed if they could have anything corrected? What do you guys think? If you could have any problem fixed, what would it be?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
If you could have any problem fixed, what would it be?
Consistency... or, in case of the definition of "problem"... inconsistency!

I've gone out more than once and hit 14 or 14 fairways... with my driver. And, I've gone out and hit 4 of 14 with far more regularity! This past Saturday, played all 18 in cold rain. Hit some of the best 4 and 5 iron shots of the year... but struggled with short irons. Most of the season, 9, PW, SW, and LW were the best clubs in the bag.

Charting round after round after round, the doubles hurt. If I could keep the doubles or an occasional triple off the card, I'd score so much better. Don't know how many times one or two bad holes have completely destroyed an otherwise great round. Consistency! How can I play the same shot, shot after shot after shot?

I played 3 rounds a couple of weeks ago with the 9's at 39, 40, 40, 41, 41, 42. Consistent? Hardly! Each of those 9's had at least one really bad hole. So easily, there could have been 3 consecutive rounds under 80. Instead, there were 3 rounds in the low 80's and disappointment.

Consistency... That's what I'd like to find the ability to control.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
I'd like to be able to putt... I played 4 over my handicap in strong winds and heavy rain, and had 9 putts on the first 3 greens! I really cannot judge long putts.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd take full swing tee shots. My irons are decent, my chipping is nearly scratch and my putting is pretty good. I always lose strokes by hitting a wayward tee shot or 3 per round.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Like Limpalong, I have a problem with consistency but that consistency centers on the maintaining of my wrist angle. I struggle to maintain my wrist angle on the downswing and through impact. I've started really focusing on this with hinge and hold drills. I'm confident it will come around this winter and my scores will start to go down as '07 plays out.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I want that added 20-40 yards (with the driver) they're always talking about in the Golf Digest lessons!! :D

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
My biggest problem is my tee shots, i can tell you that. If my tee shots (mostly driver, 3w is my best club) were more consistently in the fairway or in better places to set me up, my irons/wedges will get me there and i usually make 3-4 birds a round, but those sprayed tee shots forcing me to be miraculous just to save bogeys.

But im guna say putting, because i know if i make 2-3 more 15 footers in a round those will be another birdie or a few clutch pars to get me pumped (i play better when im putting well).

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Predictability. I played most of my golfing life with a high fade, and I was quite happy with it. It was quite controlled, defiinitely not a slice, and I'd always been long enough with my woods that distance was not an issue. Then about 6 years ago I had a bone spur and some loose cartilage removed from my right elbow. The difficulties that lead up to the surgery and the compensation that I worked into my swing to ease the pain, had caused me to develop an ugly, often pulled, duck hook. In the time since then I've gradually, laboriously gotten rid of the hook for the most part, but now I will sometimes hit a draw, sometimes a fade, sometimes straight, and I NEVER know which one is going to show up, or why. I used to know my swing so well that I could fix most anything on the run, but now I feel like I'm playing in the dark, and as a result, my confidence when standing on the tee or over a difficult approach is virtually nil. In fact, just the opposite..... I feel amost certain that I am going to hit the ball in the worst possible spot because I have no idea where to aim, and that is NOT the swing thought I want to be uppermost in my mind. :confused:

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Chipping. It's where all the scoring is done and hardly nobody practices it. I really need to improve in order to get myself to the next level of amateur golf

phil048

Oct 24, 2006
I have trouble getting my wrists around on impact which usually ends up with a push to the right or a serious slice. Although now days I have a fade that is fairly reliable. I just wish I could learn to draw the ball.

clint

Aug 17, 2006
Without question, the ability to accurately read greens and execute a smooth putting stroke.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Tempo. It is the most common thing I analyze and concentrate on for my swing. Mainly just a little fast, and I overextend my driver a good part of the time. Trying to cut it down too much with my driver leads to a bad feel and bad shot most of the time.

Seems like a never ending battle but is getting better.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.