• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

if you could play 4+ times a week, do you think

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
you'd be a much better golfer?..I know I would be...its sooooo hard to get better playing once or twice a week...sometimes I go 2-3 weeks without playing...I can keep it in the middle to high 80"s pretty much every time out...and If I could play/practice 4+ times a week, I know I could be pretty damn good...but work, kids, wife, responsibilities make it hard to go play.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Absolutey. Because confidence grows slowly. Sometimes you need to hit a precise shot; whether a high pitch over a bunker that requires a fairly aggressive swing, or a threaded-needle tee shot. Only repetition can cure the fear-of-failure you experience when you're faced with something like that. It's just like anything else. And of course, swinging more and working around the course more is a huge mechanism of improvement. More course and less range = better scores and less concern about distances. Guys who don't play talk about how far they hit the the ball; guys who play talk about how many shots it took them to get it into the hole.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I'm sure if I played four or five times a week, I would start playing awfull because I would start getting bored of going and playing every day.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I play around 2-3 times every week, and will be doing it more now that it's warm and dry. The range has gotten super boring for me though. I was never one that like the range, but it's becoming a chore almost to go to the range twice a week to work on stuff.

That said... I'm tired of paying dues to my club. ;)

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Durring daylight davings time I play or practice 5 or 6 days a week. Right now I'm on a string of 10 consecutive days of plaing at least 9 holes. Today I played 27 holes. My scores range from 77 to 85 playing the tips. I feel like I have hit a wall where even though I feel like I am getting better and better my scores just don't seem to show it. So far this season my ball striking has been way off but my putting and short game are better than ever so it all just seems to average out. Last year it was the opposite. Like I said I've hit a brick wall at a 7 handicap.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I think I enjoyed the game the most last year because of my limited play - maker you appreciate being out there instead of grinding all the time. I'm not interested in becoming a better golfer anymore - I want to go, have fun with my buddies and make the occaisonal birdie.

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
absolutely. just a year or so ago i was playing 3 times per week and had my hncp down to a 4.5. now its around 8.5 cuz im only playing 3-4 times per month

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I guess everyone is different? I live on the course, and can play for free as long as I walk. The 1st of last summer I played every day it wasn't raining. I'd get better for a few days, then play like crap for a few. Get better for a week or two, then stink the place up for a week. My overall scores didn't really ever come down. I'd hover around mid to high 80's, occasionally shoot a low 80, occasionally a low 90. Then around mid-summer I developed tendonitis in my left elbow from playing so much.

I never did break 80 btw. I will probably do the same thing this summer, play as much as possible. Hopefully the results will be different?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Playing 4 + times a week? Fantastic. I reckon doing that plus combining it with another sport would be heaven. eg. Kelly Slater -> surfing + golf. That way boredom or complacency would never set in.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I play 5-6 days a week most generally. Sometimes 7. Actually I can't remember the last day I didn't have a golf club in my hand.

To the point of your thread, it does help. For me it helps in shortgame more than anything. It probably doesn't help as much as you would think it does. Especially if you have a lot of bad habits, repeating bad habits over and over more often will just reinforce them. But it does give you the opportunity to better identify what does and doesn't work for you.

OP
DaGris

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I know a couple of years ago, before we had our second child..I was going about 3 times a week, and was playing allot better

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
This thread almost makes me sick. :eek:

4+ times a week????

This Saturday I MIGHT go and play my first individual round since early Feb. (round that will count towards my 'cap)

Ironic really, considering in Division 1 Pennant I'm unbeaten in all 4 of my matches.

Hmmm, maybe there's something in that.... :biggrin:

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
This thread almost makes me sick. :eek:

4+ times a week????

This Saturday I MIGHT go and play my first individual round since early Feb. (round that will count towards my 'cap)

Ironic really, considering in Division 1 Pennant I'm unbeaten in all 4 of my matches.

Hmmm, maybe there's something in that.... :biggrin:

Can I have your autograph????

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I would probably get bored playing 4+ times a week.....

I need variety in my life when it comes to sports.I'm glad we have four seasons up here, by the end of the summer, i'm pretty much ready to put the clubs away, winterize the motorcycle and pull out the bowling balls and head down to the lanes. Plus fall brings hunting, winter brings ice fishing, spring brings back my love for golf and motorcycles as well as fishing and boating.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.